Lift for doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LBHeyman

Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows how much lift would be adequate for a set of steel 72 doubles and aluminum 80 doubles? Would 45lbs. be enough? I have an Oceanic Excursion BC and want to run doubles on it with the doubles adapter. I know I should get a new set up but the wife has cut my funds for diving :(....So I need to work with what I have...I appreciate your input!

Last edited:
Im sure it is enough lift.I dive double95's with an alum.80 stage and my wing has 51lbs. of lift and have no problems.Thats with a 7 mill wetsuit too.

Just curious if anyone knows how much lift would be adequate for a set of steel 72 doubles and aluminum 80 doubles? Would 45lbs. be enough? I have an Oceanic Excursion BC and want to run doubles on it with the doubles adapter. I know I should get a new set up but the wife has cut my funds for diving:(....So I need to work with what I have...I appreciate your input!

Why do you need/want doubles? Wouldn't it be cheaper just to go diving than spend the money on gear?

Just curious if anyone knows how much lift would be adequate for a set of steel 72 doubles and aluminum 80 doubles? Would 45lbs. be enough? I have an Oceanic Excursion BC and want to run doubles on it with the doubles adapter. I know I should get a new set up but the wife has cut my funds for diving:(....So I need to work with what I have...I appreciate your input!

The volume of the gas carried is not the only factor. The buoyancy of your suit and in this case the inherent buoyancy of your bc will impact required lift.

If you really wish to dive doubles without a BP&W you should verify that the BC actually offers the lift you need, when doubles are fitted to it.

Tobin

I can dive double 72's in a full 3mil suit in salt water with no BC or weights. They swing about 8 pounds between 2500 and 400 psi. They are only about 1 or 2 negative at 400 psi. I have never dived double AL 80.s but I would think it would be easier than the steel 72's being they are much more bouyant

Good info so far guys thanks. I will be diving with a full 3mm wet suit and I most likely will use my steel 72's for the doubles. I was just curious about the 80's because they are a little lighter and I could get a set for cheap.

40Lbs of lift is plenty with 72's and 5mil.....
Throw 4lbs between tanks and aluminum backplate.
Try 6lbs on the belt....reduce from there....adjust as needed @500 psi.

I'd recommend the Al80s, if you are diving wet. The buoyancy characteristics of those tanks are better for diving in a wetsuit. I dive Al80s with a 40 lb wing in a 5 mil wetsuit, and the lift is more than adequate.

Back
Top Bottom