Lift Bag Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I would like some recommendations on Lift Bags for basic decompression.
Carter's any good?
Or go with halcyon or OMS?

Thanks

Agree with WW. I have yellow Carter open and orange Halcyon closed.
I prefer the closed, but carry both.

MD

I use OMS lift bags and they work well. I haven't used any of the other brands, so I am not aware of the differences.

Gorji once bubbled...
I would like some recommendations on Lift Bags for basic decompression.
Carter's any good?
Or go with halcyon or OMS?

Thanks

I like the Carters. They are shaped correctly so they don't spill easily and are extremely robust. The top is properly designed - there is no seam at the top. These are pretty heavy bags and you're not going to stuff one into the Halcyon backpack thing if that's what you have. I carry 2 of them ( 1 50# for deco and 1 100# for goodies) on loops of black surgical tubing beneath my backplate.

Boat captains don't like the Carters because they sit low in the water and they tell me that yellow is not as easy to see as orange.

The Halcyon has a seam on top that has been a problem in the past (poor design IMO) and I don't like the closed bag. There's no way I'm going to disconnect my inflator in deep water, and I certainly don't want to put an additional hose on a deco bottle, like some do. It can be inflated orally pretty easily though, and the captains like orange.

I used a Dive Rite one once, and didn't care for it. It was flimsy and not shaped for easy deployment, and had a seam on top.

The top of the bag is where the most stress is. The good commercial bags like Carter and Subsalve are folded over on top and have seams only on the sides. The flimsy sport bags have a seam all the way around.

Thank you for all the replies.

BottomFeeder makes several excellent points.

My Halcyon bags are the new open-circuit model, I also am not comfortable with disconnecting my inflator hose to shoot a bag. Tried it once, it was a CF.

I prefer the Halcyons over the Carters for one reason: stowability. I like to stuff mine in the MC Pak and the Carters won't go. I carry my Carters, in bungee loops below my plate, if I'm thinking I might get goodies. The Halcyons are for surface markers, the Carters are for lifting.

I used to use no-name brand 50 lb bags from Divers Supply. I switched to the Halcyons only because I expect Halcyon to be better quality materials and construction. The no-names worked just as well.

WW

Ordered the Carter's today.
Will put it around the deco cylinder with large rubber bands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom