Lift bag for Deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyronGanes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What specs should I look for in a deco lift bag? Open bottom? Assuming I don't want/need a valve. Thanks!

What specs should I look for in a deco lift bag? Open bottom? Assuming I don't want/need a valve. Thanks!

I use a 50lbs bag from Carter Bags. There's nothing fancy about a lift bag in terms of what to look for. Something you can reasonably carry and deploy underwater.

If you are using it for your deco hang, there are a couple of considerations to think about.

If you are in the ocean, a lift bag can and will dump especially in rough seas if you let it go slack. Because of its profile, it is also hard to see at a distance. For that one, I use and recommend the Carter CBPF-35 DSMB (Personal Float). Open bottom with a QD inflate. I use a LP nozzle and the open bottom. It will not dump in rough seas and is 6' tall. It takes about 4# to stand bolt upright. I have had a problem with the seam separating but Carter stands by their product and have repaired it. I just bought one for my daughter also, so I have 3 Carter floats, 2 CBPF-35 and 1 CBSS-25.

If you are in calm water, I think any lift bag will do. I believe in Carter products and would think it is one of the better made ones. 50# also seems to be the right size for that one.

I have a cheap lift bag 50# which was used as my alternate lift for my wing and I used it during my AN/DP training which was in sinkholes. Once I was done training and was diving in the ocean, I switched to my Carter PF. In an emergency, I think the lift bag would be easier to control but I prefer to use my PF.

Carter bags are great, but a more important question is what are you using it for?

The phrase "deco lift bag" doesn't make sense, since when lifting a heavy object off the bottom, your deco obligation is irrelevant. When you say that you don't want a valve, do we assume that you won't be potentially using it for redundant buoyancy, in which case you need to be able to vent it on the way up.

Are you referring to a SMB that you will be using for drifting deco, or for cases where you get blown off a wreck but still have a long deco obligation? That's a very different thing, and you would want something tall and visible if a dive boat will be tracking you for a long time.

Also, be aware of local customs. In some places, divers carry a short, wide lift bag and a tall SMB. Shoot a lift bag, and the crew will assume that you are sending up scallops or artifacts. Shoot an SMB, and they will assume that you are in trouble and may send a diver in after you.

As has already been covered here a little bit.

Depending on your location and future plans, you will need an SMB and a Lift Bag. Off NY and NJ, a lift bag is used to bring up artifacts or ascend on. An SMB is used only to declare an emergency and if the boat sees one they will send a diver down to assist you.

There a few general guidelines, but really the only thing I stress is NOT getting an open bottom lift bag. In the Ocean with even moderate wave action, they can spill open. They also require constant vigilance in keeping your line taut so they don’t spill on the surface. The last thing you want is to have a boat load of deco and the bag fail.

SMB Guidelines

Color - In Europe and a few other parts of the world, colors have meaning. Yellow is emergency, orange is normal. Best to avoid the multi color SMBs and stick with a standard orange for right now.

Size - General rule is that every foot of height is 1 mile of visability from a boat. With waves and ocean conditions, a 4.5 or 6ft bag is highly recommended (I dive with a 6ft)

Lift - There are large 6ft tall, 8 inch thick SMBs that have around 50lbs of lift, there are also tall SMBs that are thinner and provide less lift. An SMB is more for signaling than lifting so the lift capacity isn’t a top priority

Lift Bag Guidelines

Type - Closed or Semi Closed. A bag with a a metal flange that allows you to fill it with a hose is priceless in my book. Not only does it make inflating larger bags easy, but also allows a diver to orally inflate much more efficiently in cold water. Ask anyone who has ever tried to orally inflate a lift bag with numb lips---SUPER FUN!

Lift - 50 to 100lbs of lift is all you will need for most applications

For storage while diving, the XS Scuba pouch connected to the bottom of your back plate and/or the Halcyon Storage Pak both work well. I dive with both and use them to store a lift bag and an SMB. Some people like to bungee their bag to the plate, that would be fine as well. I only recommend against putting it in a pocket as that is valuable real estate and the bag takes up too much room.

I dive the Halcyon CC 80lb lift bag and their 6ft SMBs. Love them both and are worth every penny.

A couple of years ago IIRC Diver Magazine UK did some tests of SMB colours and visibility at sea under varying conditions.

Bright safety yellow SMBs were visible in more sea conditions including twilight and haze. They were also visible farther.

Back
Top Bottom