Life Aquatic Team Zissou Red Fins Scubapro Jet Fin or Aqualung Rocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BuryAtSea

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ever seen the movie the Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou?!

If not, watch it. In the film a team of divers are wearing what appears to be Scubapro Jet fins. Only instead of the traditional black color they are red.

I'm looking for any info anyone may have about these.
Just a film prop?
Maker?
Special order for the film?
Most importantly, if they are out there, I WANT TO BUY THEM!

Thanks so much!

Check the pics I posted. They are screenshots from the film where you can see the fins. THANKS!

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 837
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 358
I thought about that. But seeing them in the film they look just too good of a quality, granted it is a major motion picture and a prop in the film, but even the rubber heel straps are red.

If you were going to paint them what would you use? How? Environmentally friendly? Even worth it?

Just seems like it's possible for them to be made custom, only because of the similarity between Scubapro Jet Fin, AquaLung Rockets, and even the OMS Slipstream. You would have options at least.

Any thoughts?

Of course they could be photoshopped black Jets.

Too expensive/time consuming.

Most likely done with a can of red spray paint.

Last edited:
When there is a will there is a way.

It would not be complicated to make a small batch or colored rubber and vulcanize a few fins. They are cooked individually in metal molds, pretty much hand made.

Has anyone been in contact with the right person at Scubapro?

The only potential problem with colored rubber is durability and flexibility. When you change the recipe you change the physical properties of the material. That is certainly the reason Scubapro doesn't want to bother marketing colored Jets.

It' the carbon black that gives rubber it's color and its resistance.

I remember being in the Scubapro molding facility in 1985 during my instructor training and they molded some orange jetfins in front of us. It was a fairly simple looking process. They also made orange mouthpieces for alternate regulators with the same rubber 'ingots'.

Interesting. I spoke with the rep for the shop I work at and he said he'd look into it but had never heard of them making a colored jet, but he did say it was not out of the realm of possibility that they were custom ordered for a project like this film.
Well, thanks everybody for their input. I really appreciate it. We may never know fully unless someone gets a chance to talk to Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, or Wes Anderson. haha
thanks a bunch.

Just talked to a long time salesman at our local dive shop, he said that Scubapro would do colored runs in red, blue, yellow, or white, but for them to do an order you had to get 500 in each size.

The white ones are a big hit in Japan, but their sizes are smaller. And I guess big dive ares like sothern California you can sometimes find multiple shops that have gone in together and all taken some.

So yes, there really are (or could be) red vulcanized rubber Jetfins out there, and for a bigger movie like this, they probably are real.

Anyone who finds some, lets us know? I'd like a pair too...

I'd bet on scuffed with sandpaper and then painted with red "tool dip."

Back
Top Bottom