Library

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thmoose51

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Y'all know this SCUBA diving stuff is expensive. I hope to have a good library one day but right now I can't buy everything I want right now (sux don't it?). My plans include cave and wreck diving but the courses have to come at the right time. I want to be as prepared as possible when I do take the courses so my question is... If I can afford only one comprehensive book on cave diving, which one should it be?
Thanks in advance.

thmoose51:
one comprehensive book on cave diving, which one should it be?

Whats do you mean by a "comprenhensive" book on Cave Diving? I am not aware if an Enclyopedia of Cave Diving exists but if you are interesting in learning about Cave Training then you should look into one of the training manuals, for example the NACD Cavern/ Cave Diver Workbook 2005 edition.

If you are looking for information on Caves in general, then you would be better off with something else. Check out other forums like Deco stop and Cave Diving forums (hope I am allowed to put these names up here!) for tons of information.

Hope this helps.

G.

P.S. and ask tons of questions on this forum, there are a lot of very experienced and helpfull folks here.

I am looking specifically for training manuals like the NACD one you mentioned. I believe the NSS publishes one also. Both are fairly expensive and I understand what is expensive to one isn't always expensive to another but I don't want to pay twice for the same info and there are probably others out there also. That is why I was hoping to get some guidance on what might be the best bang for the buck.
Thanks,
Wayne

Well, I went and got trained with NACD all the way to full Cave so I can only vouch for their manual. The new updated version is as complete as it gets IMO. It starts from Cavern Diver level and goes all the way to Full Cave. It also covers Deco, gas planning and management and has maps of some of the popular cave systems. Think it costs about $30.

There may be minor differences between the two (NACD vs NSS) but nothing too drastic so you cant go wrong with either one of em.

G.

I've not seen the new NSS-CDS workbook, but I assume that it compares to the NACD workbook. The NSS Cave Diving Manual and Cavern Diving Manual are nice resources, however slightly outdated [these are different then the NSS-CDS workbook].

However given your goals, I would actually suggest something different from the manuals and texts, expecially considering that they are being actively updated with these new workbooks and will possibly have updated versions between now and when you are ready to partake in the courses.

I would suggest you take a step back... forget about the how for now and learn the why, and pick yourself up a copy of Exley's Blueprint for Survival. It's like $8.95 on amazon and CDS, $8 on NACD's site.

I would second Spectre's reccomendation. That was the first "instruction manual" for cave diving that I read, and much of what I have read in other manuals has it's roots in the Little Blue Bible. Also, I thought that Blueprint for Survival was written in a manner that held your interest, and was really effective at relating the value of the various rules to real life situations.

What exactly is it you are looking for?. You were given good suggestions aboveas far as books to get.

Before you do any cave training let me ask you why do you want to be a cave diver?

Spectre:
I've not seen the new NSS-CDS workbook, but I assume that it compares to the NACD workbook. The NSS Cave Diving Manual and Cavern Diving Manual are nice resources, however slightly outdated [these are different then the NSS-CDS workbook].

However given your goals, I would actually suggest something different from the manuals and texts, expecially considering that they are being actively updated with these new workbooks and will possibly have updated versions between now and when you are ready to partake in the courses.

I would suggest you take a step back... forget about the how for now and learn the why, and pick yourself up a copy of Exley's Blueprint for Survival. It's like $8.95 on amazon and CDS, $8 on NACD's site.

The NSS-CDS Cave Diver Manual is undergoing a rewrite.

thmoose51:
Y'all know this SCUBA diving stuff is expensive. I hope to have a good library one day but right now I can't buy everything I want right now (sux don't it?). My plans include cave and wreck diving but the courses have to come at the right time. I want to be as prepared as possible when I do take the courses so my question is... If I can afford only one comprehensive book on cave diving, which one should it be?
Thanks in advance.

I see you live in Macon,you might find some of the books that you are looking for a the Diver's Supply there. Last time I was there I noticed they carried some NSS-CDS publications. Greeting from a fellow South Georgian

I appreciate the responses and I did get some good information. GDI, I would ask you the same question. Why did you want to become a cave diver? Why does anyone want to take part in what many consider the extreme side of SCUBA diving? I am not an inexperienced diver by any means. I have been diving since the early 70's and I was brought up so to speak to be anti cave diving and to never even consider it. I stayed pretty much in that mind set as I grew older and moved in and out of diving until recently when I became associated with some very exceptional people in the cave diving community and began to see a different side. I am an adventurous person and like to be challenged mentally and physically in areas that I am interested. I do want to see what's on the other side but I want to do it the right way. Also, I want the advanced training that goes along with the technical path in diving. If I change my mind and never go in another cave again after I complete my training I will clearly be a better diver and that can only benefit me and whoever else may be with me. Does this answer your question? I must confess that I was a little put off by your response but reading my original post I can see that I may have come across as someone other than I meant to. Apologies.
Wayne

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom