Liability Management When Friends Dive From Your Recreational Boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m an instructor, 100 ton boat captain and own one of the largest insurance agencies in the US.

Op should max limits on your boat policy and get the biggest personal umbrella he can afford. He should not accept any payment for fuel or other expenses until after everyone has exited the boat at the end of the day safely at the dock.

You cannot prevent anyone from getting hurt or suing you. You can prevent it from bankrupting you by doing what I said above.
We are not maxed out on our insurance. We do have replacement value which is starting to make less sense as we get older .

We also do not care for any "$40 or $50 for gas" from the few people we take with us. I understand some feel that is the thing to do, but I appreciate more if the person stays with us for an after dive drink/snack/meal whatever the time of the day makes sense.

In my case if you go in my boat it means you came inside my house, or at least my backyard to get to the boat. So I'm welcoming you into my home, and there's some level of friendship going on. Which of course means nothing when is time for a lawsuit.

Life should be simpler.

I have three cars totally about 250k in value. If they were totaled it would sting, but it wouldn’t bankrupt me. “Replacement Cost” is great, but I really don’t give a **** about losing a car, boat or even a house. That might screw up my life for 2 or 3 years. Being sued for 10 million dollars screws me up for life. Liability insurance is pennies on the dollar compared to comp/collision.

People need to be upping their liability coverage in this litigious society.

I have three cars totally about 250k in value. If they were totaled it would sting, but it wouldn’t bankrupt me. “Replacement Cost” is great, but I really don’t give a **** about losing a car, boat or even a house. That might screw up my life for 2 or 3 years. Being sued for 10 million dollars screws me up for life. Liability insurance is pennies on the dollar compared to comp/collision.

People need to be upping their liability coverage in this litigious society.
You sound like someone who actually has a life... Realistically husband and i only have diving. If the house or the cars go, we'll figure a way forward... If our boat goes I'm not sure we can recover. Shore diving is not for us and the thought of going out with charters is just not an option.

I do agree on raising the liability ... November is the renewal for the policy. I'll see what can be done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom