LF: Intro to Tech Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pao

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi! I am looking for an "Intro to Tech" course. When I went diving in Coron last summer we were always chasing NDL's and the gas management was frankly a bit scary. I would like to visit those wrecks again and spend more (bottom) time with a greater safety margin. I was hoping to go into technical diving but first I would like a "sneak peek" and the intro course seems perfect.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

wanted to do the same but it's very expensive. You pay like 30% of the real course for the intro while you are not allowed to go deco.

After I passed my DM my instructor gave me one as a gift; was really awesome but you will need some time to get used to the equipment (wingsuit and 3 tanks). My movements and buoancy control was off quite a bit. I don't think an instructor will take you into the coron wrecks..

Perhaps you can do double tank nitrox if you are not going to deep?

Hi Pao,

I just dropped you a PM with more details - I'd agree with looking at a basic tech course rather than an 'Intro to tech' as the intro course really won't help you much with any decompression planning or even a certification to use twin tanks - it's more of an experience.

I'd also second the theory that there is very little actual difference between most technical courses, it's more down to how they are taught.

The final thing I'd add is twin tanks and traveling isn't always the easiest option (although it's not a big issue in Coron), my advice is to learn in twin tanks and then go sidemount - this is much easier for traveling as two modified single tank straps can turn regular Al80s into sidemount tanks so no issues with finding twin tanks - the same harness and wing set-up can be used for single tank sidemount diving also.

Karl

PS - I say learn in twin tanks first as it's much harder than sidemount, it's better to learn using twins then switch to sidemount unless you only intend to dive sidemount.

do you need to do a course to use twintanks?

Would love to use 2 tanks at times..

do you need to do a course to use twintanks?

Answers:

1. NO. There is no license requirement to use doubles.

2. YES and NO. To use doubles safely and effectively, you need to be aware of certain procedures for operation of an isolated manifold, along with refinement in fit, trim and buoyancy. That doesn't require a formal course but it can take you a long time to work it out by yourself otherwise.

3. MAYBE. Unless you buy your own cylinders, you probably won't find a dive operation that will rent you doubles without evidence of training/certification.

Depending on your instructor you might find they are willing to give you an "intro" session which can be credited towards your full AN/DP class if you choose to go forward. The intro to tech cert means very little if you are just using it to test if you want to go further with tech. So basically start the class and break it up into affordable chunks based on an agreement with your instructor.

This also allows you the chance to practice some of the skills in between the class sessions; even if you don't have doubles etc you can still benefit from water time once you've been through some of the skills with your instructor, and know where you need to focus your practise.

I'm sure Andy or Karl will both be happy to work out a good program for you at your pace and your budget :)

Enjoy!

Breif Hi-Jack :wink:

@Matt_Reed

I should have a set of twins coming to me (hopefully TnZ have brought them down from AVWT in Cebu) so after the IDC/IE I'll start getting the practice in :)

Looking forward to pestering you plenty come January.

Have you got wetnotes in stock up there btw? Could do with them putting to one side for me if you can.

PM me if you can with the method you teach for valve drills so I can start a bit of practice in the pool before I get to you.

Hope the weather isn't too bad up there at the moment, we've had a few days of rough seas so I can only imagine how it must be up there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom