• 6 - 10, Moderate Sensation

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • 11 - 14, High Sensation Seeker

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • None of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaGypsy

Reaction score
http://www.blue-oceans.com/scuba/dive_psychology/

This site has a personality quiz for divers.

How do you rate in "Sensation Seeking"?

1. I would really enjoy skydiving.
2. I can imagine myself driving a sports car in a race and loving it.
3. My life is very secure and comfortable - the way I like it.
4. I usually like emotionally expressive or artistic people, even if they are sort of wild.
5. I like the idea of seeing many of the same warm, supportive faces in my everyday life.
6. I like doing adventurous things and would enjoy being an explorer.
7. A good photograph should express peacefulness creatively.
8. One of the most important things in living is fully experiencing all emotions.
9. I like to be very comfortable when I go on a trip or vacation.
10. Doing the same things each day bores me.
11. I like nothing better than relaxing by a pool when I am on holiday.
12. I would like to try several types of drugs as long as they don't harm me permanently.
13. Drinking and partying really appeal to me in my spare time.
14. Rational people try to avoid dangerous situations.

Scoring: Give yourself 1 point for answering 'True' to items 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 13. Also give yourself 1 point for answering 'False' to items 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 14. Add up your points and compare yourself to the following norms: 11 - 14, High Sensation Seeker; 6 - 10, Moderate Sensation Seeker; 1 - 5, Low Sensation Seeker.

© 2000 to 2001 Peter Michael Forster

Divers are "more masculine and aggressive" than non-divers, according to the author of the personality quiz.

What's "feminine" and what's "masculine"? The author links to another quiz that says:

Women are very dependent
Very emotional
Very passive
Able to devote themselves completely to others
Very gentle
Not at all competitive
Very kind
Very aware of the feelings of others
Have difficultly making decisions
Give up easily
Not at all self-confident
Feel very inferior
Very understanding of others
Very warm in relations with others
Go to pieces under pressure

Stereotypes make me feel very emotional yet passive. I'd like to raise someone's consciousness, yet I'm having difficulty making decisions and think I'd rather go to pieces under pressure.

:banging:

Divemistress
Borderline high/moderate sensation-seeker

If that is the definition of women (Deiety of your choise forbid!) then I'm a man... That would undoubtly surpice a few people.

And in that case I'm different.

The masculine / feminine thing is a bunch of stereotypes...

"Gives up easily" "Have difficultly making decisions" "Not at all self-confident" "Feel very inferior" "Go to pieces under pressure"
All that is supposed to be feminine

Oh well, guess I'm totally screwed on attempting to be feminine :jester:
I'm sorry, but if women really had the "feminine" profile, none of them would be strong enough to be a mom or have a carrier :D

Back to the polls, however, I turn out to be a high sensation seeker (minus the gambling and drugs part), and very "masculine" :eek:ut: (or let's call that with lots of personnality, as I am not anywhere near "masculine")

divemistress once bubbled...
Divers are "more masculine and aggressive" than non-divers, according to the author of the personality quiz.

Divemistress
Borderline high/moderate sensation-seeker

Maybe male divers are more masculine and aggressive than non-divers, but this female diver is all femme, thank you very much. There are many different motivations for diving. Some folks like to hunt. Some folks are looking for a thrill. Some folks have something to prove. I don't know why other people dive. I know why I dive however.

I am intoxicated by the beauty of the natural world. I'm in love with the earth and all of her miraculous critters. I cherish life. I want to experience the beauty of the underwater world. I am also concerned about the damage we are doing to ocean life. I want to do my part to contribute to our understanding of our effect on the organisms that live below the water.

Are these masculine motivations according to the author of the survey? I doubt it. There is a strong emotional component to my divng. There is also an awareness of the feelings (well, welfare and continued survial actually) of "others" (the critters we are compromising by our mis-use of the oceans.)

I take care of others undewater by watching out for the divers around me for signs of distress. If I'm divng with someone who needs help (air, assistance getting back to the anchor line etc.) I give it. But a male rescue diver in the same circumstances would act in the same "nurturing" way.

Humbug to all of this stereotyping.

Raviepoo, a 10 who would have been a 12 a few years ago.:wink:

People that think diving is a dangerous sport arent good divers. Its only dangerous if your not comfortable underwater, or buy gear off ebay

SSIdiver02 once bubbled...
People that think diving is a dangerous sport arent good divers. Its only dangerous if your not comfortable underwater, or buy gear off ebay

Now don't be silly - of course it's dangerous! You're in a alien environment! A cautious educated diver minimizes one's risks but the risks are there. I think taking the attitude that diving is not dangerous could lead to complacency and increase your personal risk! Many unforseen problems could occur that have little or nothing to do with you.

Oops - sorry, don't mean to get emotional. Is what I wrote OK? I can't decide. I don't wish to be unkind! (boo hoo)
:mean:

A "10" who used to be higher too ...

I took exception to the characterization of traits as masculine or feminine too.

However, I do think the "sensation seeking" applies to many divers. It's not about the danger; it’s more about new experiences. I know people who think Disney World is an adventure trip or who have never eaten anything as exotic as Chinese food. None of them are divers.

Back
Top Bottom