Let's say I know nothing about the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What we like is doing a vrbo or similar on the water, doing some cooking, doing some eating out, and just exploring and enjoying a slow pace for a low key trip.
Wish I could compare islands but have only been to one - Grand Bahama. Slow pace and low key describes it, but probably describes all of the islands.

This is my take from when I was there 3 ½ years ago (going back in the spring.) The island is flat and susceptible to hurricane damage - some places seemed to still be in a little disrepair, like the International Bazaar.

The normal land and water activities/excursions are available, but didn't seem to be as abundant as on some other Caribbean islands. There are a few beach clubs and a weekly beach party/cookout on Taino Beach. We frequented the Port Lucaya Marketplace quite a bit - shopping and several very good restaurants, and occasionally entertainment. There are a few sights to see around the island.

In the Freeport area there are several dive ops. There are quite a few dive sites in this area, so depending on how many days one dives, there are enough different sites that repeats are unlikely. Shark Junction, which was featured this year in a Shark Week show, is one of the sites, but reef sharks are likely to be seen at many other sites. Tiger Beach is on the northwest end of the island - I don't think most of the ops go there because of the distance.

Not a retirement location but I think one can take it for a few weeks once in a while!

Bimini reopened since last hurricane?

I have friends who took their 2 kids, ssid she felt raped every time they sat down to eat.

I'm doing the aggressor in a few months, can't wait

I've been to Nassau several times. The only local dive op I know of is Stuart Coves. They are an ok operation, but hit or miss on their service and dive guides. Bahamas caters to wealthy yacht owners and has high taxes. On one of my dive trips with Stuart Coves, we saw Jerry Jones' superyacht with his helicopter loaded up not too far from our boat. I've also been diving on the Aqua Cat in the Exuma Cays. The reefs are suffering from bleaching and die-off, and there's not a lot of color on the reef. My last visits were in February and April of this year. As with other Caribbean islands, Nassau is struggling to come back from COVID and many, many shops are permanently closed.

Abaco and Grand Bahama were hit very hard in the last round of hurricanes...maybe 2019 (?)

Back
Top Bottom