Lessons Learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bogie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am open to learn something on every dive. I learned a number on things on my Saturday dive.

I dove with at the SB Meet and Greet on December 5th, with about 15 fellow divers. The weather was cool and overcast. Originally we planned on diving Lovers Point number 3 that is deeper and a bit more challenging than Lovers Point 1 and 2. We stood on the sea wall and watched as two other divers entered the water with waves growing and swooshing up the medium sized rocks on the almost no-existing beach. They put their fins on fist and walked backwards into the waves. They got knocked around but got in where they delayed too shallow where waves almost broke over them. They finally got out to a safe distance. As we watched, they surfaced after about a five-minute dive. Now they needed to exit. The waves were growing. We observed some large waves crash on the shore. We all watched curiously like gawkers watching a car wreck. As they approached we were all apprehensive. By pure luck they hit the beach when the waves were smallish but the beach was almost non-existent and rocks looked like their landing site. One diver got out without much mishap. The other diver was not so lucky. he got out partially; got knocked down, and got turned over like a turtle and concluded with the rock and roll dance. Some of us ran down to assist but he finally stood up and got out. We learned not to dive this site on this day and how not to enter and exit the water. Our group decided not to dive that site. Duh!
We chose to dive Lovers Point number two. This is a beach entry but without rocks. The waves were much smaller but still very strong. One of our divers failed to test their BCD and it failed to inflate because there was sand stuck in it. She sunk like a rock when she tried to put her fins on. Lesson learned to test and inflate your BCD before you enter the water. My buddy diver helped her out of the water.

I dove with two dive buddies. We descended and I looked for both divers. I saw only one diver. I gave the one diver hand signals: look around, where is the other diver. I looked for a minute then surfaced to look for the other dive buddy. When I surfaced I turned around and the second buddy was right next to me. Lesson learned underwater communication difficulties. When I signaled diver one to look for diver two he thought I was telling him to turn around to clean off some kelp off his tank. He was looking at me and said he was looking at both of us because diver two was right behind me and he said that he pointed to him, which I did not get. I was the dummy when I didn’t turn around because diver two was right next to me. Oh well, it is always to be extra safe than not.

When we were to exit on the beach the waves were medium big. Timing was important. There were two ways to exit. Take your fins off in chest deep water and walk in or swim up the beach and crawl up to clear the waves. I decided to choose the half assed approach. Swim half way up the beach stop and then take off my fins. Well the ocean did have a sense of humor. I stood up with my fins on in knee deep water then the ocean had fun with me and threw wave after wave at me pulling my fins all over and unceremoniously knock me on my derriere. I got one fin off that was washing into the sea. My second dive buddy acted like a professional baseball shortstop and caught my fin. I crawled up the beach to a clear area; full of sand stood up took my second fin. My buddy handed me my other fin and I exited the beach feeling like a spastic buffalo. I am sure it was entertaining for the people watching. Lesson learned, commit one way or the other, swim like hell up the beach and crawl like a crab up the beach to clear area or take off fins and time exit with a wave coming in and walk out with dignity. I choose a most undignified exit.

My buddies did very well. One saved/helped a fellow diver and one saved my fin.

I did enjoy the dive. I always learn something on every dive. This dive I relearned the importance of testing your equipment (especially air in bcd) before you enter the water. I learned the importance of observing your dive site entry point before you enter and by not entering dive site #3 we made the safe and correct decision. I learned that underwater communication can be difficult and to turn 360 degrees to look for your buddies. I learned how not to exit on the beach.

I love diving. It is exhilarating but can keep you quite humble.

Thanks for the post -- there is nothing that will injure a diver more quickly than complacency. A good reminder for us all.

Sounds like an enlightening experience. Those waves don't really care how silly you look, they'll knock you over just the same.

great experience. Thanks for the share!

This was a lovely post to read, not just because I've been to the places where you were and could envision them, but because I absolutely love your attitude. If you look at each dive as a learning experience, and ask yourself what the lessons from that one were, you will learn quickly and likely become a very good diver.

I love diving. It is exhilarating but can keep you quite humble.

Bogie:

As TS&M has already stated, You have a great attitude.

The ocean is more powerful than any of us. I have been humbled many times over almost 40 yrs of diving.

Diving is a great equalizer. When you get on an open boat there are people who drive into the parking lot in their expensive car or SUV, others come aboard after parking a well used truck. After a day of diving all are equal. It is very hard to play cool when your nose is running, your hair-if you have any-is wet and matted. It brings out the common humanity we all share. I have seen it time and time again, all over the world.

With your spirit and attitude you will enjoy a lifetime of diving and make many new friends along the way.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Near Misses and Lessons Learned

Good post. Glad no one was hurt. This is how you build experience and learn what to do as well as what not to do... I was in the same position many years ago coming out of a rough exit (entry was calm when going in)... I learned that crawling was just one technique.

I missed the two guys that entered at Lovers 3, but was part of the M&G that went out at Lovers 2. The waves were sporting but nothing to write home about. Then again I am used to big surf as I used to surf. With dive gear on it doesn't take much to get knocked down and I have myself more than a few times. Respect for the ocean is very important. It can change in 10 minutes from calm to overhead surf or no current to current almost to strong to swim against. I have experienced both.

The exit for many divers probably should have been done by crawling out, then once on DRY sand remove your fins. Never stop crawling until you are on dry sand. I use a scooter so I take my fins off outside the surf zone and scooter in. Of course I can not crawl out with a scooter and have to walk out. I put a knee down exiting and since the slope is pretty steep I do not consider it a big deal to stumble a little. Just wait until the next wave hits and gives a little push forward.

As you already know if you are not comfortable with the conditions there is always another place or day to go diving.

Keeping track of buddies is much harder in bad vis. We use super bright flashlights to stay in contact with each other. The team needs to move together and stay in a formation so that the dive leader can keep track of everyone. A class like this UTD class will help with buddy skills and other important diving skills. There were a couple recent graduates at the M&G.

This is a video from Monastery performed by our own Doc Wong. He shows just how quickly the conditions can change, and just how easy it is to get knocked down. Monastery has claimed a lot of lives from people just playing in the surf.
YouTube - Monastery Beach Dive Video Preview

Here is a thread Ben_CA started to help other local divers out.
3-things-tell-new-guy-monterey.html

I missed the two guys that entered at Lovers 3, but was part of the M&G that went out at Lovers 2. The waves were sporting but nothing to write home about. Then again I am used to big surf as I used to surf. With dive gear on it doesn't take much to get knocked down and I have myself more than a few times. Respect for the ocean is very important. It can change in 10 minutes from calm to overhead surf or no current to current almost to strong to swim against. I have experienced both.

The exit for many divers probably should have been done by crawling out, then once on DRY sand remove your fins. Never stop crawling until you are on dry sand. I use a scooter so I take my fins off outside the surf zone and scooter in. Of course I can not crawl out with a scooter and have to walk out. I put a knee down exiting and since the slope is pretty steep I do not consider it a big deal to stumble a little. Just wait until the next wave hits and gives a little push forward.

As you already know if you are not comfortable with the conditions there is always another place or day to go diving.

Keeping track of buddies is much harder in bad vis. We use super bright flashlights to stay in contact with each other. The team needs to move together and stay in a formation so that the dive leader can keep track of everyone. A class like this UTD class will help with buddy skills and other important diving skills. There were a couple recent graduates at the M&G.

This is a video from Monastery performed by our own Doc Wong. He shows just how quickly the conditions can change, and just how easy it is to get knocked down. Monastery has claimed a lot of lives from people just playing in the surf.
YouTube - Monastery Beach Dive Video Preview

Here is a thread Ben_CA started to help other local divers out.
3-things-tell-new-guy-monterey.html

Yeah but the crawl out got me all covered with sand while you got out looking all clean :D

Back
Top Bottom