Lessons Learned this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a penetrating Wreck Diver and sometimes Tec Diver, I have learned to really streamline my gear to my torso. I use bands around my neck to keep both regs where I can see them and use and recover quickly, I also use a very strong retractor on my computer to keep it close to my BC, I use intergrated weights so I don't have to deal with a weight belt and straps dangling hitting the reefs.

As far as hand over hand decents, I have done many of them, and my rule is I always look up at the diver above me for signs of trouble, I guess my DM and Asst. Instructor training has taught me that rule. Even as I swim around a wreck with my camera gear, I am always looking at other Divers for distress signs ready and willing to give my support.

I would not leave a down line if the wreck was not visible to me, even then, I would make sure there is no current or a very weak one that I can let gone and free accent the rest of the way.

I have been swept away from the Vandenberg when I was making my accent on the up line, a 5kt current ripped me right off the line because I had only one hand on it, I was loaded with camera gear, video and digital setups. Some of the best divers in the world are still on some deep wrecks for not observing thier surroundings.

From your story, perhaps the dive boat/DM should have picked an alternate site.

Such conditions can be overwhelming for new divers. You mentioned daughters, are they newly certified too?

Weights on an anchor line? That's an accident waiting to happen in rough seas. Why did they need to have weights on the line? Was there a strong current? If so why did they still div ehte site with new divers?

Anyway, congratulations for surviving the dive, I'd find a more prudent dive boat operation.

This post was never about laying blame. It had never even crossed my mind. I accept full responsibility for what happened. The fact is I saw the weights and avoided them so I did not get bonked on the head, however, I was coming down the line with my right side exposed to the line. Which opened me up to this weight issue. The bow in my reg hose from which goes to my mouth and then to my 1st stage was bowing and floaty which caused the issue. Where the 2 lines crossed I was not able to see it, as it was out of my range of sight, due to the mask. My only intent on this post, was to make others aware of this when visiting NC. As so many here on SB say they want to do. The boat op did as they were suppose to, this was a beginner site that they reg. take newbies to. If not for this one issue, everything was great and no other problems. I dove 2 sites this weekend, with this site getting in 2 dives. I live in the middle of the state, so I get to do quarry diving for the most part. I would consider NC to be pretty much my next closet dive site at 5.5 hours away. This dive was put off until we all had about 30 dives in each and several classes under our belt. This day was not a strong current but the seas were up a little from the forcasted 1' seas according to NOAA. I also approached this with a hired DM for my first dive and was taking a class with an inst for the last 2 dives. As if I am going to be diving this area, I need to learn it. I think Lulebell explained the weights thing pretty well. I believe that what I did was the prudent thing to do given that it was a new area-hiring a DM (not to babysit me, not to resuce me, but to show me the things that I would not seen on my own and navagate us around the wreck). I went into this dive knowing full well that the DM was not going to bail me out of anything. I think we can all agree on one thing, that as new divers we have all had our share of lessons learned, just some of us are more willing to share them. While some of us just like to criticize others mistakes.

In NC, the dive boat captains *really* want the divers to use the line to pull down to the wrecks, because the currents can really ratchet up quickly and it would be very easy to get blown off the wreck. Memorial Day weekend we had several dives with a very mild current and one of our group descended off the line several times :no: and it made our Captain pretty antsy! The preference is definitely to do ascents/hangs on the line as well, and I'm pretty sure that there was a sharper eye on my buddy and me as we weren't always following that :cool2:

As Kate points out here about being taken off with the current. We were told a story while on the boat of a guy last year that did not follow directions about the line and he was dragged out about a mile from the site and had to be picked up by another boat after a search was formed.

Well, Im glad no one was hurt, and that you are able to walk away from this incident having learned something instead of just disregarding it. Thanks for sharing.

I will add that it is totally possible to maintain team going down an anchor line due to current, etc. You can either do it slowly while maintaining touch contact (which isnt easy) or you can check on your buddy every 10 seconds or so. There is no reason you should be left to deal with something alone on an anchor line, and if you can reasonably maintain contact with your buddies you might want to think about calling the dive.

Lesson learned don't get tangled in lines, don't get beat up by weights moving around etc... Do you really expect people to have to explain this stuff to you? Diving under boats, in currents with waves in the ocean can be dangerous and unpredictable. You will alwys have to use common sense and situational awareness. What more can we say about it?

If there is a lesson, it is how easy it is to screw up, how easy it is to get separated, how important it is to be self sufficient and probably most of all, don't push too hard into new or more challenging situations.

Hmm, seems like the OP is newer and is just sharing a story with everyone so that they can learn/hear of her experience. Why beat her up over it?

On a related note, what is it like being so naturally brilliant and talented?

From your story, perhaps the dive boat/DM should have picked an alternate site.

They were on the Indra if I recall. The Indra is the entry level boat dive out of MHC. It is the alternate site that the boats go to when conditions are rough. I think the only alternative would have been not running. We can argue all day about whether they should have run. There are usually divers of mixed levels and the advanced divers would have been peeved if they did not run.

Such conditions can be overwhelming for new divers. You mentioned daughters, are they newly certified too?

Agree. And since this is the entry level site, it's one of the reasons I recommend people have at least 20-30 dives under their belt before signing up for anything here. Learn to scuba dive someplace easy, then add the sea conditions.

Weights on an anchor line? That's an accident waiting to happen in rough seas. Why did they need to have weights on the line? Was there a strong current? If so why did they still div ehte site with new divers?

The boats here often use what is known as the "Carolina Rig." The weights are not on the anchor line. They are on vertical down lines that hang from near the bow and from the stern. There is another line (or metal bar on some boats - in which case no need for weights on the down lines) that runs horizontally at about 15 to 20 feet between the two vertical weighted lines. This line is used for pulling yourself in current and for doing safety stops under the boat. From the junction with the forward weighted line, there is a granny line that runs to the anchor line. The purpose of this line is to avoid having to swim in currents to and from the anchor line.

Here is a nice diagram and explanation from Tortuga Charters: Carolina Anchor Line Rig | tortugacharters.net

Anyway, congratulations for surviving the dive, I'd find a more prudent dive boat operation.

I also think she did well. She solved her problem underwater, which is the beginning of diving mastery.

I also don't see anything that would indicate a lack of prudence in the boat operation. Divers are warned of the conditions they might encounter. It's up to the diver to decide if they are up to it. In fact, the Carolina Rig is the essence of prudence. It has probably saved the lives of dozens of divers over the years and has made the dives of countless others more enjoyable.

Edit: I didn't realize I had duplicated info from someone else. I reckon ignore lists have their disadvantages, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
4 to 5 foot seas, and rising?? I would question a DM taking new divers out in such rough condtions. Remember, you can call the dive, at any time, for any reason. This includes before you get in the water.

Sounds like you kept your wits about you. I would add, it's "stop, BREATHE, think, act". That's means no breath holding. As pointed out by someone, the bobbing up and down isn't a good thing. In dive class, you were no doubt taught the highest percentage pressure changes are toward the surface.

Beggining divers are often taught to descend "on the line". As noted, it is preferable to be able to do a free descent. This takes away the bobbing motion - which is quite disorienting - as well as the variable rapid increase/decrease in depth/pressure.

I would respectfully suggest that next time conditions are that challenging, you sit out the dive (and the key to being a good diver, is recognizing when conditions might be beyond you, or your group's, skill level). I have done this a couple of times (much to the dismay of my diving buddy) in the past, and questioned the sanity of the dive operator when they essentially tried to force people into the water with a ripping 5 knot current ("hold onto the line, it'll be fine"). I am an instructor, and don't let dive operators know it (I like to more observe, but it does no one any favors by adding stressors to untrained/new divers.

Diving shouldn't endanger the safety of you or your group. There is always another day, another dive site. But there is only one YOU, or one of your buddy.

I was on the Saturday morning run to Naeco and thumbed the dive after descending and spearing one lionfish. I skipped the second dive as well.

Then I was on the same boat Monday as the OP. From what I've seen she and her family did great on the boat and in the water. I've seen them several times on the wrecks as I was trying to catch some dinner :wink: and then on the way up. For what is worth I think her husband needs to spruce up his hoodie to match the family! :wink:

Iztok:

I cound not agree more, he is a little boring. How can we be a three-som and not match. I still think he should do the ogre one, as that fits him the best. Also, thanks for the vote of confidence! Hope to see you all again, been PMing John today.

I wanted to praise you on your posting. Each negative experience teaches us some lessons and makes us a better diver. I think it took me almost 100 dives before I felt I was a competent diver. It is these experiences that are so important. It is great that you figured out what the problem was and corrected it in what sounds like a calm manner. It will make you a better diver. There are always those who can't understand how someone could "screw up" like that. Personally I am not sure how they can even descend on a dive, because they obviously walk on water!! I have never dived NC before, but am looking forward to this in the future!

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom