lessons learned and still practice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RadRob

Contributor
Reaction score
I have read through this forum and throughout I find opposing views on almost everything. What I wonder is after reading, arguing, analyzing, etc.. are there any practices you have included in your own world? I know we read these topics and look at differing views, but after agreeing that something is a "good idea", do you still practice what you learned? What are some things you have incorporated into your regimen and still do today.

RadRob:
I have read through this forum and throughout I find opposing views on almost everything. What I wonder is after reading, arguing, analyzing, etc.. are there any practices you have included in your own world? I know we read these topics and look at differing views, but after agreeing that something is a "good idea", do you still practice what you learned? What are some things you have incorporated into your regimen and still do today.

:popcorn:

looking at my gauge when checking my reg/air

I won't forget that one again, you might say it "got my attention"

SMB disciple

hmmm...seems I learn everything the hard way.

oh, good one: demanding to SEE the fuel gauge before getting in for a drift.

don't take your fins off until you are on the ladder even if the crew is telling you to pass them up...just say no or play deaf.

mr 45yr newbie... Do you see another argument coming? I simply asked what lessons have been learned. How can this turn bad?

Watching my SPG while I breathe my regs was something I learned here.

Carrying an SMB, mirror and air horn on any boat dive was something I learned here.

Soaking sticky dry suit valves in distilled water, followed by distilled water with a drop or two of Ivory soap, was something I learned from the USIA rep here.

For the rest, I've had the advantage of hearing arguments for and against almost any other procedure or piece of equipment, and I think that's meant more informed choices.

I practice the basics taught in the OW class: bouyancy, checking the SPG, proper ascent/descent rates, etc. The rest I learn from you guys. I read for tips in the forums that I think might be benifical, analyze and then try it out. I would be a pretty sucky diver with out all of the argumentation from you guys...

catherine96821:
looking at my gauge when checking my reg/air

I won't forget that one again, you might say it "got my attention"

SMB disciple

hmmm...seems I learn everything the hard way.

oh, good one: demanding to SEE the fuel gauge before getting in for a drift.

don't take your fins off until you are on the ladder even if the crew is telling you to pass them up...just say no or play deaf.

Concerning the fins, it depends on the dive...When diving the Fling, you always take your fins off when you make the tag line, attach them onto your arms, then pull like heck up the tag line....In this way, you're free to climb up the ladder---fast, out of the current......

Back
Top Bottom