Lessons for Life - June Issue of Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gangrel441:
Chris, you and Oceanic gain points with me every time I read one of your posts. Bravo!

Me: Oceanic Bioflex Tour, Air XS
Wife: Oceanic Bioflex Pro Tour, Air XS

Cheers!

Thanks, you may find it hard to believe but I'm not doing this to sell people on Oceanic. I'm trying to sell people (read industry mostly) on what a great future is possible in diving when we embrace the changes. If we do that divers will have better experiences and people like me will make more money while having fun doing it. Fun has been missing in the industry the last few years....

NetDoc:
Anyone who does their FIRST DIVE on a reg in the ocean is a statistic waiting to happen. All new gear should get a dip in a pool FIRST before it goes into the briney brew.

Unless of course your pool is briney-brew-filtered (vs Chlorinated) :)

Back to the original poster's point ...
I'm not even sure the testing of many newly manufactured items comes into play much anymore. For example, anything built with 6 SIGMA in the electronics or manufacturing industry applies quality to each component and to assembly ... such that for example every Sony device you plug into an electrical outlet in your home, is having juice applied for the very first time. And the failure rate is thousands of times lower than in the days when they pulled every 10th or 100th assembly off the line for testing, the times before such quality assurance processes. Not having the specifics of the background or cause in the case of this regulator, I'm sure the scuba industry still applies the testing of every X item in their manufacturing execution, which means mistakes and flaws still happen for the 99 items inbetween the tests.

cerich:
Thanks, you may find it hard to believe but I'm not doing this to sell people on Oceanic. I'm trying to sell people (read industry mostly) on what a great future is possible in diving when we embrace the changes. If we do that divers will have better experiences and people like me will make more money while having fun doing it. Fun has been missing in the industry the last few years....

The fact that you do so freely with your name associated with Oceanic speaks highly of both yourself and of Oceanic. I greatly look forward to the day when we awake to a brave new world where the scuba diving industry gets its collective head out of the "internet doesn't exist" hole and truly embraces the marketplace. Many may not believe this, but it will not only help the industry and the divers, but also the brick and mortar dive shops. Being allowed a free marketplace to compete on prices will help the overall health of the marketplace and give smart businesspeople an opportunity to thrive in their own niches.

gangrel441:
I greatly look forward to the day when we awake to a brave new world where the scuba diving industry gets its collective head out of the "internet doesn't exist" hole and truly embraces the marketplace. Many may not believe this, but it will not only help the industry and the divers, but also the brick and mortar dive shops. Being allowed a free marketplace to compete on prices will help the overall health of the marketplace and give smart businesspeople an opportunity to thrive in their own niches.

Can we make this qoute a sticky? :D

All new should be checked out in a pool before going on any dive trip ,don't matter where you buy it!
Used gear should be checked out @ the LDS before you even get in the bath tub with it!
Freaking out @ depth over a freeflow , I guess could happn but it's a good sign that more training might be in order.

NetDoc:
Anyone who does their FIRST DIVE on a reg in the ocean is a statistic waiting to happen. All new gear should get a dip in a pool FIRST before it goes into the briney brew.

Exacatly!! It ain't even considered dive ready till it has that latent smell of Chlorine about it.

As to the LDS vs Online and reg puchaes....

I;ve boght many item online., raning from finger spools to SMBs, and even wetsuits. But when I bought regs for my wife and I, I did so from our LDS. They assembled them, tested, them and then passed them on to my wife and I, and they even gave us two free fills andf access to their pools for th checkl out dive.
Let's see an online dealer giive you that kind of service.

The internet has a place it the scuba retial sceene, just not (IMHO) when it come down to the major life support components.

NetDoc:

I have to disagree with this. I don't have any access to a pool and even if I did I'm not sure what a 2metre dive is going to prove in comparison with a good visual inspection & surface testing.

If you don't feel ready to handle any sort of equipment failure at depth then get more training or get a better buddy.

Like purchasing anything (esp. regs and BCs) know your source. And yeah, always a good idea to try new gear in an appropriate environment before checking out the Andrea Doria! :wink:

Storm:
Exacatly!! It ain't even considered dive ready till it has that latent smell of Chlorine about it.

As to the LDS vs Online and reg puchaes....

I;ve boght many item online., raning from finger spools to SMBs, and even wetsuits. But when I bought regs for my wife and I, I did so from our LDS. They assembled them, tested, them and then passed them on to my wife and I, and they even gave us two free fills andf access to their pools for th checkl out dive.
Let's see an online dealer giive you that kind of service.

The internet has a place it the scuba retial sceene, just not (IMHO) when it come down to the major life support components.

Ahh, but this attitude is what is killing the LDS. Just because it is not wise to buy regs online doesn't mean it doesn't continue to happen. The longer it keeps up where the LDS cannot compete with online purchases because the industry ignores them, the fewer LDS will remain in business over the long haul. Then we'll all be buying our regs online, because that'll be the only place we can get them.

On the other hand, if the manufacturers quit trying to treat this industry like an oligopoly and ease the pricing and advertising restrictions on equipment, the internet might actually lose some of its edge to the LDS, and ultimately the equipment distribution of internet/LDS regs would probably settle squarely in LDS territory. The regs sold on the internet would now be through authorized dealers, who would have standards they have to adhere to in terms of set-up and testing, but the added expense passed down in price would probably be minimal enough to take a serious toll on true gray market equipment. Sounds like a pretty good plan to me, don't you think?

Propaganda pieces in dive magazines that make up incidents, then clumsily throw in a "LDS good, internet bad" message are shortsighted at best. This industry is desperately in need of a change of viewpoint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom