Lesson Learned - Self-Sufficiency, Unsafe/Incompetent Divers and the "Insta-Buddy"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lobbolt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This is my first posting here in this part of the forum, I hope to share what I learned from this event and know your perspectives! :wink:

Much of the incident can be attributed to my personal mistakes :shakehead: and some, to the errors of the group.

Wanting to contribute to environmental conservation, one weekend, I joined a group of divers who regularly meet for marine cleanup dives (picking up discarded nets, fishing line, and other debris from the seafloor). My regular buddy (an excellent dive buddy), whom I had known since my high school time, and regularly dive with, was not available to dive with me, so I opted to join the group.

The groups main organizer and leader, apparently had very extensive dive experience (including underwater engineering jobs) and regularly logs an impressive number of dives, and acts as the local dealer for two foreign equipment manufacturers.

Thus, I assumed that the dives would be organized in competent manner and the group members would be competent divers and dive buddies.

This is my mistake number 1. Assumption. :shakehead:

As a side note (I found out all this after the incident described here), the leader and organizer of the group is known as an "instructor", though I had not witnessed any credentials backing up the title. Secondly, and perhaps more ominously (how information spreads in the Facebook age), the "instructor" made public an incident during which he became so absorbed in the underwater objective of clearing away nets and fishing line that he ran out of no-decompression time and entered into decompression obligation, at a depth greater than 100 feet :reaper:.

Other divers of the group, also made public, and jocularly, how their dive computers had "malfunctioned" by locking them out of diving for 48 hours, assuming for running out of no-decompression time and omitting required decompression stops :reaper:.

So, on that one particular dive, it can be inferred that several divers in the group had entered decompression.

Next, on with the dive incident. The "instructor" presented a briefing, noting the local hazards, the geography, and that the pairs must begin the return journey with no less than 700 PSI of gas remaining. So far so good, I think to myself.

I am paired up with another diver in the large group and proceed to gear up and make the entry.

Everything pre-dive did not generally ring any alarm bells, but troubles began almost immediately after entry.

First, there was a longer, more exhausting swim near the surface than anticipated, breathing from my regulator rapidly and consuming gas FAST.

Then, on with the descent, keeping the "buddy" in my view, never more than several feet ahead of me. The way down takes us to a depth around 100 feet (30 meters). My pressure gauge reading approximately 150 bar (likely due to the rapid gas consumption near the surface, and stress), on beginning the descent.

"Ok" I think to myself "I will alert my buddy of the need to cut our bottom time short, no need to abort yet", so I continue the dive.

No alarm bells yet. As long as my buddy and I abort and ascend together, cutting our bottom time short, there should be no problem.

Swimming to and alerting my "buddy" by poking his upper arm (making fully sure that I had his attention), I signal that my gas supply was dwindling, assuming that it was understood that our bottom time would have to be cut short.

He shrugs off the issue, making no eye contact, continuing his objective of cleaning away balls of fishing line and nets snagged to the rocky reefs :hm:.

Checking my pressure gauge, I see my gas supply approaching, then dipping below 1,000 PSI as I work at the planned objective for the dive, snipping away tangles of fishing line and nets attacked to the rocky reefs and bits of coral.

Slight alarm bells ring.

I signal my buddy about ending the dive, at least one more time, again, not surprisingly, completely blows me off.

Now, down at a depth of 100+ feet (32 meters), with my gas supply dwindling, the "buddy" completely oblivious, I sensed an impending drowning at depth, or a dangerous, very fast ascent to the surface should I remain at depth and consume my remaining gas.

Major alarm bells sound off :furious:.

This is my mistake number 2, not aborting the dive as soon as sensing "alarm bells".

Quick thinking, abandoning the "buddy", I decide for a controlled solo ascent and back to the point of entry with approximately 800 PSI remaining as I begin the return journey.

As I begin my ascent, seeing my "buddy" several meters directly below me, I attempt at getting his attention by shaking my underwater signaling device, to no avail.

We never discussed the use of my signaling device, pre-dive. My mistake number 3, not having discussed signaling devices.

"Sure, you are now one person to avoid like the plague." I think to myself.

I continue my ascent, carefully monitoring my ascent rate to be at the slowest visible "bar" on my computer.

Having sketched a map of the area and noting the directional bearings on my slate during the pre-dive briefing, I use my compass to note the direction back to the shoreline and swim for the bearing.

The ascent from 100 feet (30 meters) to 60 feet (20 meters) , to 30 feet (10 meters) is thankfully uneventful, the large group of divers' bubbles visible.

By reaching approximately 60 feet, my remaining pressure shows less than 600 PSI remaining.

Still breathing rapidly (probably from stress), and adjusting my NEW weight belt, momentarily neglecting to vent air from my BCD, and losing control of my buoyancy at less than 30 feet and with my pressure gauge showing less than 500 PSI remaining.

Gaining positive buoyancy, my computer showing 4, 3, 2.2 … meters and alerting me to descend below the "CEILING".

Quickly venting air from my BCD and descending back down to 15 feet, 5 meters for the now MANDATORY safety stop (due to exceeding the maximum ascent rate), as dictated by my computer.

This is my mistake number 4, momentarily losing control of buoyancy, contributed by not having familiarized with my weight belt.

For some background information, here in Taiwan, news stories have reported cases of divers ascending then dying from collisions with boat propellers. The injuries sustained are massive and blood loss is extremely rapid, insuring near-certain death.

I definitely wanted to avoid that possibility, so I made certain that I did not ascend to the surface, and scanned and listened 360 degrees for signs of boats. Very fortunately, there were no sign of any boats or other watercraft.

At this point, I decide to ascend to the surface opposed to swimming to the point of entry, as per my compass bearing, as my pressure gauge showed less than 100 PSI remaining.

There were no boats and other watercraft near the area during the time at the surface and the surface swim, but I decide to take a step to warn passing boaters of my presence below the surface. I unclip my finger spool and remove my SMB from its bag, and clip it to the line. Noting not to remove my primary regulator from my mouth, I use my octopus to blast air into the end of my SMB.

As this is the first time deploying the SMB, I had not used enough air to fully inflate the entire length of my safety sausage, only about a 1 foot length stuck above the surface.

I thought, "Better than nothing, at least this is still visible to passing boats."

Maintaining buoyancy while filling the SMB is tricky, to not be dragged up by the extra buoyancy.

This is my mistake number 4, never having practiced deploying the SMB.

Slowly ascending as I wind in the line back to my finger spool, and stopping for the safety stop, the ascent proceeds uneventfully until somehow, the finger spool had come undone with the metal clip.

I break the surface, I am about 200 feet (70 meters) from the point of entry, marked by a small inflatable dive flag.

I unclip the SMB and roll up the line on the finger spool. Somehow, the line had not fully "clipped".

Peeking below the surface, I see my finger spool slowing descent to the depths, line still attached and attached to the metal clip in my hand.

I could wind the line in by hand, risking entanglement in my own line, in my own gear at the surface, or, I could descend to go for my spool.

I opted against both options, cutting the line, donating my finger spool and line to its next owner.

What stands between me and the safety of shore is a surface swim, somehow hampered by stress and the drag on my inflated BCD, for which I considered ditching my weight belt, but did not.

In retrospect, several warning signs were present before the dive.

I was using a piece of NEW equipment (and a critical piece) which I was unfamiliar with: weight belts instead of the BCD integrated weights which I had been doing essentially all of my dives with.

Never having practiced deploying my SMB, I was depending on more luck than I should in having it function and being able to deploy it.

At the shore, even before wetting my toes, the insta-buddy who I was paired with appeared to see me as a unnecessary inconvenience to his dive. There was no discussion of the dive plan, our buddy plan, and any contingency plans. Clearly, he had fully intended on carrying out the dive essentially solo.

After surfacing, I opt to sit out the planned second dive, enduring some strange looks and not-so-kind glances by the other divers in the group. I enjoy diving, so this was a slightly challenging decision.

But, I knew that I wanted to live, and to live to dive another day.

Mentally reciting the mnemonic "A Good Diver's Main Objective Is to Live" and that "Nothing underwater is worth dying for."

On this particular second dive, my ex-insta-buddy was allowed to dive solo (assuming without any training and backup equipment), by the groups' "instructor". That eliminated all ideas of this group as a competent group to dive with.

This sort of unsafe practice seems common, and accepted in the local dive scene.

Safe diving for everyone :banana:!

Thanks for sharing and glad you kept your head about you. Always listen to that little voice, you heard it but you didn't want to listen at the time. You saved yourself from having a serious incident because you thought it through.

You could have written on your slate that you were going up and shown it to your buddy. I am sure your disinterested buddy would have given you that "whatever" gesture--seen or unseen. You also could have deployed your SMB earlier but I understand wanting to conserve your air for your ascent. Good call on cutting the line for your spool. I am sure you were thinking out each step as your troubles began but you successfully kept yourself alive by not panicking. Good job.

As far as those dive buddies and the "instructor" go, I think I would mark them off my list of people I want to dive with.

You made two mistake Number 4's LOL.

You didn't have a good buddy.

On the other hand, based on your description of the dive, you have no business cutting nets and things off a reef. Working with nets and lines and things underwater that are entanglement hazards can become very serious, very fast. This is not an appropriate activity for most sport divers...

I would NOT attempt this kind of work.. even in shallow water without my own redundant scuba system and would probably be trying to find a qualified buddy to work with me on a project like that.

Sounds like you learned a lot on one short dive... of yeah, filling an SMB with a regulator when you are very low on air is often not a smart thing to do, if you plan on breathing underwater afterwards....:no:

I would say that you were a diver who was massively overfaced by the dive you took on, and who was not assisted by a buddy who felt any sense of operating as a team, and that you did as well as you could do in handling the disaster that the dive turned into. But it's instructive to look at this situation from the perspective of the incident pit.

Number one, dives that involve clearing nets or collecting debris are dives most recreational divers haven't trained or practiced for, and doing such activities at major depths is impacted both by rapid gas consumption and narcosis.

Two, doing such a dive with completely unknown partners is adding another major variable.

Three, beginning a descent to 100 feet with only 150 bar was a judgment error.

Four, you waited well beyond your rock bottom to decide to ascend -- although, if your oblivious buddy wasn't interested in going up with you, you actually didn't need two people's worth of gas :)

Five, you were doing a new-to-you dive with a new-to-you buddy and new-to-you gear -- I try never to change more than one variable at a time. If I change gear, my first dive is very conservative and done with someone I know.

Six, your emergency action plan involved the use of equipment you weren't familiar with and hadn't practiced using; and you did not know if your buoyancy control would survive the task-loading of using it, and it didn't.

You were so many steps down the incident pit . . . it is truly a very nice thing that, in the end, you came out uninjured and largely not frightened.

Lots of things to think about before the next dive.

Thank you for posting this, BTW. This is the kind of bad situation that a moderately experienced diver would be likely to get himself into. This will be very instructive for a lot of folks, I think.

Thank you for your replies :) :)

Definitely a lot for me to think about, and a lot more to do before even attempting the next dive.

I heard somewhere that there is a certain dangerous point in experience, where a diver has enough skill and mental coolness to avoid getting into most troubles, but not enough to avoid dives that are beyond ability and training, like the one described here :reaper:.

When I sat on the shore, waiting, during the second dive, I kept my fingers crossed while visually following the trail of bubbles breaking the surface…
with the big group of the divers (of the herein described caliber and behavior) in the water I knew the odds were there that something would go wrong :reaper:, and that I would be the one person on the surface that might be implicated to respond... :ermm:

One such diver managed to forget his computer, and neither had tables nor a depth gauge and bottom timer/watch. Thankfully I brought along a backup computer to loan to him.

I too appreciated the post, and congratulate lobbolt for learning a lot from the dive, a dive that he acknowledged pushed ( if not broke through) his comfort envelope. Among the many lessons this post illustrates is the need to have a meaningful pre-dive conversation and dive planning with an insta-buddy. I have written on this in many forums. New buddies should each share their dive experience, recent dive history, any knowledge of the site, and expectations for the dive. They should establish clear communication methods for underwater, and should reach agreement on things like buddy proximity , and termination of the dive. If there is not an agreement, it should be known BEFORE entering the water. Live and learn, from every dive.
DivemasterDennis

One other thing struck me: you said something about using a large amount of air up during the surface swim.

Snorkel?

Note: When I do go into the water, I have the regulator in my mouth until I am floating stably, then switch to my snorkel for the surface swim *out*. On the way back, if I have a ton of air left when I surface, I may opt to swim back *in* still using the regulator. Regardless, I definitely have the regulator in my mouth when I'm getting out, in case i should slip (be it on a boat, a beach, rocks, whatever --- you never know when you're going to fall over, and that's not the time for a snorkel in your mouth).

david, i actually think they were swimming *near* the surface, not on it, but a good point for surface swims for many folks.

op, good job thinking. i think lynne, as usual, hit everything on the head. this could have really been bad, and you analyzed it well. i doubt these particular mistakes will ever be made by you again!

Sounds like an overly ambitious plan to begin with for the group at hand. Sounds like you learned a lot though and have much to consider going forward. Learning has taken place....

Also remember, Deco doesn't kill or injure; blowing off significant stop time does.

Unfortunately this is not an unfamiliar situation to me. However, I don't really have to guts to post the errors I've made. So Kudos to you since I'm sure you will learn from the experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom