Les Davis 2-24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalvyn

Reaction score
David G. and I hit Les Davis this evening after work. There was a seal swimming back and forth in fron of our cars, impatiently waiting for us to get in the water. :)

We hit the water about 5:40, and started cruising the concrete slabs. The seal promptly started silting the place out, naturally... but I saw something Iv'e not seen a seal do before. He was swimming by us, then he plopped down on one of the concrete slabs and just sat there, looking at us! I actually thought he might be stuck between two slabs, and was heading over for a closer look when he slowly sauntered off. I couldn't believe he was just sitting there like that... I thought Dave was gonna pet him!

When we were over at the jumble of rip-rap by the tire boundry, I saw a type of crab I've never seen before, too. It was fairly large, and the shell was shaped like a heart crab. It had "spines" all over it's legs and shell, making it look like a porcupine. Anyone have any ideas? There were also just a tonne of shrimp out there, the most I've seen in a while.

All in all we have a very nice dive. 63 minutes, 76' max depth, 42' average depth. We surfaced to the blood red moon just coming up over the horizion, an awesome sight in and of itself!

Jimmie

Puget Sound King Crab perhaps? How big?

Perhaps it actually was a Heart Crab .

Or perhaps it was a golf ball crab

IMG_1179.JPG

It would have a carapace up to 2 1/2" wide.

NWGratefulDiver:
It looked sort of like that, but was bigger. It was at least four or five inches across the shell, bigger than my hand. It was also right out in the open, not under or between anything. It did not try to run away when I was checking it out, but then again I didn't try to grab it or anything, either. I wish I'd had a camera on the dive! I could have got a close-up of a seal AND taken some pictures of this crab for a positive ID.

Jimmie

Like I said, leaving the camera home seems to guarentee that I'll run into something - never fails! The seal couldn't have struck a better pose plus he held there so long, and so close that I could have taken several shots. He allow me to get close enough that I could have reached out and easily pet him. (I had thoughts of lastweeks seal and thought better of it. That one was so tame that he was a pest -bumping and pulling - on the surface swim out at cove 2.)

The one thing I was kind of surprised to find were all the scallops and one urchin. I've Never seen them at Les Davis before (that I can remember). Must mean the water quality is getting better.

Viz was 12-15' and it was a great dive with a good buddy. PS, they've taken to locking the bathroom up early. They were closed by the time we got out.

Jimmie, Puget Sound King Crab have short legs and their claws have white molars on the them. This one was about 8" across the back (they get bigger) but it is covered with barnacles and in need of a molt. No spikes... but the shell has *bumps*. Bright orange with red, yellow and purple.
201410_Puget_Sound_King_Crab.jpg

Back
Top Bottom