Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfrymus

Registered
Reaction score
A few questions about when shooting on full frame (video & stills) on the Sony mk.ii cameras (A7ii, A7Sii, A7Rii). Focus is on marine life, other divers, and wrecks:

1) How wide do you typically shoot? 12mm, 14mm, 16mm +
2) What max f-stop would I need, even though I would be using flash & video lights?
3) How much of a magnification do you get when you are underwater?

Lens choices:
A) Sony 10-18mm f/2.0
- Has a usable range of about 11-17mm on FF
- Slower at f/4.0 [dislike]

i) With the magnification due to water remove the vignetting of this lens?

B) Rokinon 12mm f/2.8 (Fisheye)
- Manual only [dislike]
- Fast
- Possibly too wide?? (Will refer to first question)

*WILL be corrected to remove the curved perspective*

C) Rokinon 14mm f/2.8
- Manual only [dislike]
- Fast

One of these two will be purchased (For the mid-range):
D) Sony 16-35mm f/4.0
- Cheaper
- Slower [dislike]

E) Sony 16-35mm f/2.8
- Expensive [dislike]
- Faster

i) Do I need f/2.8 or would f/4.0 be sufficient?

The only lens above that will work underwater on the a7II is the Sony Zeiss 16-35 f2.8, which is FE mount. The others are all E-Mount and require an adapter. Those don't fit current ports. And wouldn't have manual focus either.

Possibly the best current W/A setup is using the Sony f/2 28mm with the Nauticam Port 35 and the new Nauticam WWL-1 wet wide angle. This gives you a very fast, sharp, 130 deg FOV and is smaller and less expensive overall than buying the 16-35, 180mm glass port, gears, ext and port adapters.

We have a couple of reviews of the WWL on our site and have a Nauticam WWL Quality System package that includes this setup.

See:
Nauticam Sony a7II with WWL & 90mm Lenses Review
Olympus EPL-7 with Nauticam WWL-1 & CMC Lens Review
Sony a7II and Sea & Sea MDX-A7II Housing Review

NAU-A7II_WWL-Qlty2-8.jpg

Im lost.
The 3 of the Sony A7 mk.ii cameras are Sony full frame E-mounts.
Why would all these lenses required adapters?
When I was searching for lenses through B&H, I searched under the Sony E-Mount (full frame) lenses. They all seem to be fine.

The nauticam port is too expensive. The Ikelite housing is I believe half the cost.

I also prefer to have the ability to zoom, over the primes. Even though I get the extra stop or two.

Last edited:
No, the camera is an FE mount, which is a full frame mount for E-Mount lenses. Not all E-mount lenses will work well, they would be cropped; only FE mount.

You get what you pay for in terms of the housing. Remember you are buying a system, the Nauticam housing is aluminum with much more advanced controls, features and the ability to add accessories later. None of your lenses is supported except the FE mount 16-35 f2.8 for underwater use.

Nope. Still don't get it...
On the website it states that all these lenses i mentioned are Sony E-Mount (Full Frame).
The only one that is not, is the 10-18mm, but still works on this camera.

I'm from Canada (around Toronto area)
Is there a way I would be able to get the housing with all the ports and try this thing out? So I know what works and what doesn't work before buying?

I see no need for the accessories that Nauticam offers. Unless I am missing something.

I guess the other problem is the size of the lens?

According to Ikelite, the largest lens diameter can be 2.8-3.0"
Then again, the 16-35 f/4.0 is a little larger (3.07") and it says it will fit. The f/2.8 version is even larger (3.47") and you are saying it will work? Same as the 90mm f/2.8 lens
Now I'm even more lost.

Is there a difference in the max lens diameter between Ikelite and Nauticam?
If I can fit larger lenses in the ports with Nauticam, then I would see a better reason why to choose them.

There is no FE mount 16-35/2.8, just the 4.0. The 2.8 is an A-mount lens (SLR) you can use with an adapter and retain full AF, but it will be a very big package. And not cheap.

There's always the manual focus option of using a Nikonos wet lens system with Nauticam. Just to confuse things.

Ive been looking it over, and it seems that these are my only options:
~Sony 28mm f/2.0 + fisheye converter (hopefully its wide enough)
~Sony 16-35 f/4.0
~Sony 24-70 f/4.0

Disappointing actually.
I would go with Canon as there are more options available, and you can get an extra stop of light. But, when I have lights for underwater photo/video, it might not be that big of a deal if I got f/4.0
But, when im not shooting underwater, and im on land, and rely on natural light, f/4.0 is not much. Times like this I wish i was with Canon.
But the auto focusing speed is not great, and not really worth it.

How would the wet lenses work on this camera setup?

The Nauticam WWL works with the 28mm f/2 in a short port, and has a bayonet mount. It will not work with Ikelite. See the links above. For wide angle it is actually less expensive and faster than the 16-35mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom