Lens fogging issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

al248005

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got my new DC 1200 in the water for the first time. The air temp was around 80 and bottom temp was 52. Right before the dive started I placed a new moisture muncher in the casing. As I descended the inside of the housing lens began to fog up. It only happened when the water temp was below 65. Once I started ascending and ascended through the thermoclime into 70F water the fogging issue went away. Does anyone know what is going on here or how to prevent this in the future? This was my first time using a camera and the pics I did get to take turned out great!

P.S.--no bubbles were coming from the housing while submerged so the housing was sealing

Try loading the camera in the casing in a cool, low humidity environment. I load mine at home or in the hotel room as opposed to the dive site.

Hope it helps.

Try loading the camera in the casing in a cool, low humidity environment. I load mine at home or in the hotel room as opposed to the dive site.

Hope it helps.
Yep, helps a lot.

Also helps to soak your camera or at least wrap in wet t-shirt before diving. Otherwise the sudden change in temp can lead to some precipitation and the lens is the coolest part of the housing.

I agree with both of these suggestions. You might also want to take a very small drop of mask defog and place that on the lens of the housing and let it dry for an hour or so. Then take a cloth diaper or other soft non linting cloth (lens cloth) and polish the defog off. DO NOT place the defog on the camera lens.

Another trick I've learned is to "flush" your camera housing with a blast of air from your scuba tank prior to sealing it closed. Leave it open a crack and let the air rush into the housing displacing the moist ambient air, then close it the rest of the way and latch it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom