Lens dock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Yesterday, at the end of the wreck dive, while trying to do a safety stop in somewhat strong current this guy came bolting up the line - pushing everybody off so he could keep hold of the line. He was carrying his camera with a strobe and lens dock. A foot or two after he passed us he stopped for his safety stop. Everybody was looking at him like " What was your hurry?" Anyway, while my buddy was watching him, to see if there might be some signs of panic to give reason for his behavior, he saw that his WAL just fell off the lens dock somewhere into the wreck. Gone!
I know that Gilligan has a leash for his lens...how can you double secure it if the dock you have doesn't offer a leash?

Thanks for sharing that tale of woe. I'm sure GB Undersea will appreciate it as their lens dock has a leash. I have had my WAL slip from my hands a few times already and if not for the leash it would have fallen to the bottom as it is so heavy. Since I am on the bottom all the time I would not have lost it but no doubt it would have gotten scratched or broken on the lava.

Lisa it would be very easy to make a leash like the one that comes with the GB Undersea lens dock. Go to the GB site and look at the photo. You need to get a cable tie that has the loop on the end like the one in their photo. Wrap the cable tie around the groove in the WAL but do not pull it closed too tightly. Leave enough slack in it so it can freely turn on the lens but not come off. The slack comes into play when you thread and unthread it to the housing allowing the leash to turn. The rest of the parts are fishing tackle supplies such as the leash (fishing line, preferably the type that is called a leader which has stainless steel in its core), the safety type pin (I added a swivel to mine) and the small lead part that you crimp the ends of the fishing line with to form a loop. All this can be bought at Long's or any tackle store.

The Digital Lens Dock is the only one I know of that has the stainless steel cable leash. If he has one of the Inon lens holders, it would easy to attach a leash.

I see that Gilligan has already covered what I was gonna say!

I had a someway similar experience years ago when I was doing my deep diving which I have to share. I was down at 80ft with my buddy and our instructor.
A fellow diver (commercial) drops like a rock (he was testing his dry suit and trying to recover his strobe in the same time?!) and he hits my mask (with his tank), breaks the strap and takes the reg out of my mouth. I was able to recover my reg, mask and surface but this incident will be always with me.

Safe Diving

justleesa:
Yesterday, at the end of the wreck dive, while trying to do a safety stop in somewhat strong current this guy came bolting up the line - pushing everybody off so he could keep hold of the line. He was carrying his camera with a strobe and lens dock. A foot or two after he passed us he stopped for his safety stop. Everybody was looking at him like " What was your hurry?" Anyway, while my buddy was watching him, to see if there might be some signs of panic to give reason for his behavior, he saw that his WAL just fell off the lens dock somewhere into the wreck. Gone!
I know that Gilligan has a leash for his lens...how can you double secure it if the dock you have doesn't offer a leash?

Gilligan! You are THE BEST!!! I'm hoping to get a lens this summer - so look out Longs, here I come!

StingRob:
I had a someway similar experience years ago when I was doing my deep diving which I have to share. I was down at 80ft with my buddy and our instructor.
A fellow diver (commercial) drops like a rock (he was testing his dry suit and trying to recover his strobe in the same time?!) and he hits my mask (with his tank), breaks the strap and takes the reg out of my mouth. I was able to recover my reg, mask and surface but this incident will be always with me.
Safe Diving

Not fun at all.... :sad_2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom