Lens choice?? WA vs. zoom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the wider angle vote. I use the Canon 10 -22mm but make sure you get the 8" port,, the 6" does give you very soft edges. I did pick up the 17 - 85mm for medium shots with the zoom knob on the port but I have not tried it yet.

RLXFXR:
I

What about using the standard 18-55mm zoom lens with a flat port? Would I be disappointed with this setup? Would it be better to go with a 10-22 WA lens and the specific 6" dome port? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Happy diving.

IMO the 12-24mm Tokina is the way to go for UW photography. And it's not a this or that thing, more a both thing. I'd also think that a macro would be another must have lens.

I'm planning on starting out with two ports. A 6" for the Tokina that I own (12-24mm), and a flat port for my 60mm macro. I have a lot of lenses that I could take UW, but those are the two that I will do first. I also have a 17-35mm f2.8, an 18-35mm f3.5-4.5 that I was going to sell, but I think I'll see if I can make the Tokina dome work, and others like my 50mm f1.8, and 24-70mm f2.8 that would be nice to get UW, but I don't think I'll be able to justify the cost of the ports for all these!

The 12-24mm is a 18-36mm f4 which is a very good general purpose lens for UW shooting. Definatley a good starting point. As for if a 6" dome works, well I've read that at 12mm it may result in a bit of edge softness, but I've certainly seen more than acceptable results from that combination. The 8" dome would be better, but it's bigger, and a LOT more expensive.

I've got the 6" Ron and I'm not too happy with the edges. But I don't have the NEW D200! I can't wait to see your pics. Have you used it topside yet?

Diver Dennis:
I've got the 6" Ron and I'm not too happy with the edges. But I don't have the NEW D200! I can't wait to see your pics. Have you used it topside yet?

I've used one topside (a friend got one in December) great camera. Howeve I don't own the D200 yet. I was assuming that Nikon would be a bit more on the ball in getting these things on the street. However with the banding issue, maybe they dragged their heels more than usual.

I'll have one in the next few weeks as they are starting to become more available.

Back
Top Bottom