Lembeh Water Quality??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been to Lembeh and Bunaken twice (last time a year ago). Yes, I've also had ear infection issues there, but I have elsewhere too. I'm just getting over an ear infection - middle ear not just external from diving in Panama. Luckily it came on the day after I finished diving. Ear infections are very, very frustrating!

I have to agree with Luko. There is a lot of life in the water in Lembeh, including plankton and lots of things that are happy to thrive in warm damp conditions - like inside your ear.

As far as dirty goes - I don't think it's any worse than elsewhere in Asia. I remember being disgusted by the rubbish in that water in Bali - I don't remember Lembeh being as bad as Bali.

i think its about where u stay...

How exactly? Doesn't matter if you stay at KBR, Critters@Lembeh, Two Fish...Wherever. Everyone's still diving in exactly the same stretch of water on exactly the same dive sites.

How exactly? Doesn't matter if you stay at KBR, Critters@Lembeh, Two Fish...Wherever. Everyone's still diving in exactly the same stretch of water on exactly the same dive sites.

but not right beside the ****...

maybe as mention.. u see the diaper and **** there... then don't go to that dive site.. go to others...
i think there is enough at lembeh to move around...

Thanks for the heads up...will mark this one to look @ more closely in the future.......

I dove Lembeh 3 dives a day for a week with no ear infection. I dont ear beer or even make particular efforts to rinse my ears after dives. I'm lucky I guess as I've not had an ear infection since my early days of diving.

There were a couple of sites that I had to try and think of other things to keep the bile down. But I knew all this before I went and one of the major reasons it took me so long to get around to it was because of what I knew.

It was still wonderful but I wouldn't have wanted Lembeh to be my only diving on that trip and thankfully it wasn't.

but not right beside the ****...

maybe as mention.. u see the diaper and **** there... then don't go to that dive site.. go to others...

Probably been diving below a village "sewage" in Kalabahi bay / Alor, I thoroughly vinegared my ears immediately after surfacing and getting on the boat..

That said I probably surfaced at the wrong place at the wrong time, and forgot to keep my reg latched in my mouth. As a result I had such a belly blues for 4 days that it prevented me from donning any wetsuit more than 2 hours in a row.

My ears didn't suffer any infection though.:)

LOL

There were a couple of sites that I had to try and think of other things to keep the bile down. But I knew all this before I went and one of the major reasons it took me so long to get around to it was because of what I knew.
I am struggling to keep the bile down just reading this thread. I guess I'll stick to the Blue Heron Bridge for my muck diving.

Been to Lembeh and we didn't have any issues. No dirty diapers in sight. There was a fair bit of rubbish around but perhaps part of it is the time of year and tides? I know a lot of stuff can get swept through the straights from other locations. Maybe it is worse now than it was then.

I know that Critters@Lembeh sent staff in regularly to clean up the house reef and area out front. I also know that a few of the resorts are trying to work on educating the locals about pollution and the value of marine tourism....

I always carry medication in case of ear infections but we haven't done any real preventative stuff. Thanks everyone for posting, I think we will take some of the precautions mentioned here when we go to Siladen in July... won't do any harm :)

Back
Top Bottom