Lembeh Strait / Bunaken combo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My bride-to-be and I want to splash out on a honeymoon in N. Sulawesi, diving both the Lembeh Strait side and the Manado/Bunaken side.

1) Should we stay on Bunaken itself for that part of the trip, or one of the resorts on the Sulawesi "mainland"? It looks like most of the resorts are located south of Manado, which would make for a long trip out to Bunaken, where I assume most of their dive sites would be. Or do those resorts dive other locations than Bunaken? Bunaken is the highlight on that side of Sulawesi, right?

2) How many days to devote to Lembeh? How many days to devote to Bunaken? We're thinking three days of muck diving is plenty for non-photographers such as ourselves, and then follow it up with, say, four days of diving on Bunaken. Does this make sense? Or are we likely to find both places equally amazing? Also, we kind of like the idea of balancing a few days at one of the top resorts in Lembeh, like Lembeh Resort, KLR or KBR, with more basic accommodations on Bunaken, such as Two Fish.

Yes, stay on Bunaken. I say this from my research as I have not been.

I leave Wednesday for 4 nts on Bunaken with 2Fish and then a week in Lembeh with NAD. Both are on the less expensive side but come with lots of recommendations. It seems even without the camera people can never get enough of Lembeh. Go for as long as you can - and before Alan says it - do as many night dives as possible :wink:.

For me it is a long way to get there (I'm in Oregon, and my dive buddy is in Peru) so we are making the trip as long as possible - ~12 dive days. I would do more if work wouldn't miss me.

I love both Lembeh & Bunakan. IMO 3 days diving in Lembeh for a non photographer, non marine biologist/fish geek is enough. You can do 4 dives a day in many places. On Bunakan, you may find Living Colors resort more romantic than two fish for about the same money.

Bunakan is very different than Lembeh. Steep wall, coral and blue water diving - some turtles and maybe sharks --

while lembeh is mostly lower vis,black sand and many exotic critters - although some dives do have coral.

Enjoy Paradise! I suggest Lembeh then Bunakan and just pass through Manado.

Hi,
I did the very same trip in reverse. 2 Fish (Bunaken) for a week and then the Lembeh Resort for a 8 days or so. We prefered it this way round with the better resort second (and for my money the better diving also) so that it builds up as a trip rather than eases down. Both were great in their own way but the Lembeh Resort was out of this world (ask for bungalow number 1 if you go there). I have done a trip report which is on the BSAC website: go to the travel club section and follow the links through to the trip reports. Also if interested my photos are on Webshots and if you let me have your e mail I can forward you the link. I have travelled all over the world diving and this was the best so far. Admittedly I am a photographer and love the small wierd stuff but I have yet to meet anyone who has been disappointed by Lembeh.
Regards.
Dave

We stayed at Tasik Ria to dive Bunaken. That involved a bit of a boat ride each morning and afternoon, but it was pretty and I didn't mind. Eco Divers ran a good operation, and the resort was clean and pleasant.

We stayed at Kungkungen Bay Resort for the Lembeh diving, and I absolutely, utterly loved it. It's a beautiful place, very well run, with good food, and tons of nice amenities.

I am not a photographer, but I liked Lembeh better than Bunaken. The creatures of the Lembeh Straits are astonishing, and finding them is like treasure hunting. The walls at Bunaken are colorful and pretty, but after a couple of days, they began to seem very much the same. Not so the Lembeh dives! We always found something amazing.

We did five days in each place. Were I to do it again, I'd do three in Bunaken and the rest in Lembeh, or try to get up to Bangka Island for the soft corals.

Kima Bajo and Cocotinos are two operations on the mainland that are much closer to Bunaken than the rest, they are north of manado and just across from Bunaken itself as opposed to the others that are south of Manado.

In Lembeh there are basically three price ranges: Top end are KBR, Lembeh Resort and Kasawari
the middle is Lembeh Lodge and Black Sand
and more budget priced are Two Fish, Bastianos, and of course... NAD :)
All of them are close to one another

Thanks, everyone. Lynne and Dave's replies may make me rethink the balance of days to 4 in Lembeh and 3 in Bunaken instead of the other way around. And thanks to others for addressing issues I didn't even ask about, namely, which resorts to choose.

jeremyl, please remember to post a trip report when you get back. Especially want to hear about the dive ops, 2fish, and NAD. Have no doubt the diving will be fabulous. Thanks!

I will do a full TR soon, but bottom line from me is 2Fish=no. Nad=Yes.

My 2 pennies worth would be NAD first in Lembeh then either Siladen Resort or Kima Bajo for the diving in Bunaken. NAD is cheap but clean and in the heart of Lembeh. The big plus they have is the management, Simon & Mike ( not a couple ). Very experienced down to earth guys who know how to show their guests a good time whilst ensuring they get to see all of Lembeh's weird critters. Kima Bajo and Siladen are 2 resorts that are miles ahead of the competition in the Bunaken area and are great for Honeymooners. Both have really nice spas and Siladen has a great golden beach. You will of course pay more at these 2 resorts but it is a really nice way to finish the holiday and make it a honeymoon to remember :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom