Lembeh-Komodo Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow, so lucky to see 9 Mola! Is there Bali shop you could recommend for a up to 2 days trip for Mola? Thought best season for Mola is July, seems Aug is also good based on your experience.
Yes, contact Today (short name of Ketut Gede Somadhyana) from aqua cat bali, the best travel to scuba diving / dive / diving in Bali, Indonesia

He’s been my Bali guide for more than 10 years.

The season for Mola Mola in Nusa Penida is from July to October. July is still early in the season. I wasn’t lucky enough to see one in July 2011 for 2 days (6 dives) then though. After I got skunked, I asked Today when is the best time to see Mola Mola. He said in August during full moon or new moon +/- 2 days and he delivered the show on my next visit to Bali on August 2014.

Here’s my latest Mola-Mola diving with him in September 2019. We saw 4 Mola Mola, Manta, Thresher Shark & Great White Shark then. :wink:

Padangbai in Bali. It is also the jumping off point for local ferry to Lombok and then to Gili Islands(x3).
Any operator will organize trip to see Mola Mola, most likely to Crystal Bay.
Sept - Oct when the water is cold ie under 20C.
If you have only two days then you should check the schedule of each operator!

@dirtfarmer I thought you just came back from Indonesia. The I looked at the year, ut was 2013. LOL

+1 for Mermaid liveaboard with Bali-Komodo-Bali itinerary.
I was a bit suprised to see the old trip report popup too. sure brings back fond memories. The report here is from my first MM2 Komodo trip, I liked it so much I booked a second trip for the next year when I got home. I've also been back to Komodo with stays at Scuba Junkies, and a short LOB, along with a few more trips back to Lembeh. I wish I just got got back from Indonesia, but due to the rona I've been staying closer to home as in Soccoro, Guadelopue, and heading back to Tiger Beach in January. I see your headed back to TB again so soon after your trip this last fall. Going back for some Great Hammerhead action?

Is there Bali shop you could recommend for a up to 2 days trip for Mola? Thought best season for Mola is July, seems Aug is also good based on your experience.
Set yourself in Padang Bai, in my experience i've had more chances to see Mola Mola on Gili Tepekong or Mimpang than Nusa Penida. Anyway PB ops do both local and Nusa Penida dives so you can alternate one day on NP (CRystal bay) one day around the Gilis.
I like Gekodivers, been with them every year for about 10 years and successful with Molas. They depart early morning with fast boats to Crystal bay so you get there before the crowd
July is very early for Mola i would say end of august is better, the sea gets also calmer.

I see your headed back to TB again so soon after your trip this last fall. Going back for some Great Hammerhead action?
Yes. I’ll be there on Mar 11-19. :D

Have fun there in next few weeks. Please post your trip report with cool pictures of Great Hammerheads. :)

@ dirtfarmer
Could you share your itinerary of Lembeh and Komodo? I have similar plan, but has not figure out how to combine two destinations together. I plan to use land based operator for Lembeh and LoB for Komodo. Any recommendation on Komodo LoB and airport/itinerary?

Thanks
I would recommend Lembeh Resort in Lembeh, the operation is just top notch. They have on site biologist and photography expert. Lembeh Resort - Luxury Dive Resort in the Lembeh Strait

I'm on their mailing list and I recall that they announced they're an official quarantine resort. Imagine quarantining at a seaside cottage. But I can't find that info on their website anymore so maybe email them?

Back
Top Bottom