Lembeh Dive Guide / Spotter Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Trecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Would anyone have recommendations for specific good guides with good spotting skills especially for macro? Any suggestions appreciated! Great if you happen to have their contact info and whether they are with a specific resort. I will try to include a compiled list eventually with reviews.
Especially interested in eventually trying to find someone to lead a small group.
Thank you!

The guides at Black Sand Dive Retreat are brilliant,as is everything about the resort !

Most of the dive guides around Lembeh Strait are excellent in their job. Since the days of Larry Smith at KBR 25 years ago dive guides have been trained to be spotters and assistants to photo- and videographers.
Of course, diving in a group, even when it is small, does not give you the optimal benefit. This is why we offer our private boat/private guide service.

Would anyone have recommendations for specific good guides with good spotting skills especially for macro? Any suggestions appreciated! Great if you happen to have their contact info and whether they are with a specific resort. I will try to include a compiled list eventually with reviews.
Especially interested in eventually trying to find someone to lead a small group.
Thank you!
"...especially for macro?" Lembeh is 99% macro. That's all they do. If you are not shooting something small it is probably a big crazy freak event. Someone here told a story of everything going dark, and he looked up to find a massive whale shark overhead, but don't go to Lembeh hoping for whale sharks.

Do some searches here and you will quickly find the resorts in Lembeh that are well respected in Scubaboard. I'm a huge fan of NAD, and there are a bunch of places that are awesome too. I have great times at Bastianos, Froggys, and Two-Fish during the pandemic.

Look at resorts that offer small divers to guide ratios- ideally 2:1 or better. The more guides and eyes in the water the better as they will work as a team to ensure everybody sees everything they all find.

Hope this helps.

The Murex guys have great guides / spotters too.

Any particular persons / names to request? Going during Dec/Jan holiday season and my experience is that resorts often bring in outside independent workers who may not know the reef as well. Thank you!

My only recent experience with Murex at Bangka is with Ramly and Sandro, both are very good and helpful.

I didn't dive with Murex in Lembeh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom