Leisurepro Warranty question:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Have any of you had bad experiences with Leisurepro or the servicing of any gear you got from them? I was talking to a dive shop owner (who looked rather desperate for business in my opinion) and he told me that any regulator I buy from leisurepro will not be serviced by any other dealer in my local neighborhood because for all intents and purposes, they get their gear illegally because they're not "authorized" dealers for equipment (such as Oceanic in my case). And if I do ship my stuff to them for repair or maintenance, they won't have someone on staff qualified to fix do the repairs because no one there is certified...

My question is, when I need my equipment serviced, how would the local dive shop know where I bought it? I could just as easily tell them I bought it from a shop in another state and they would not be to the wiser....right? I will be getting my stuff serviced before an April dive trip so I want to make sure I don't have to actually ship my stuff back and wait all that time just to have leisurepro service the gear.

I've bought gear from Leisurepro on several occasions and always got great service and the items actually shipped out to me MUCH faster than any other online retailer - which is rare when you live in Hawaii and items are coming from New York. Am I screwed if something happens to my gear before, during or after my trip???

Thanks all and Happy Holidays!

------------------------------------------------
Star Dancer, Papua New Guinea (4/23/2010 - 5/3/2010). Who wants in, we need a couple more spots! Want to have a photo shootout????
Peter Hughes Diving - Live-Aboard Excellence to World Class Dive Destinations

In my opinion, what you describing would be like a situation where a LDS would not service your gear because it was a used purchase from eBay or the board. This is crazy. Don't mention it and I am sure it will be serviced as normal. With respect to Scubapro equipment however, you will not get the lifetime parts from your LDS if you buy from Leisurepro as they are not an authorized vendor.

Have any of you had bad experiences with Leisurepro or the servicing of any gear you got from them? I was talking to a dive shop owner (who looked rather desperate for business in my opinion) and he told me that any regulator I buy from leisurepro will not be serviced by any other dealer in my local neighborhood because for all intents and purposes, they get their gear illegally because they're not "authorized" dealers for equipment (such as Oceanic in my case). And if I do ship my stuff to them for repair or maintenance, they won't have someone on staff qualified to fix do the repairs because no one there is certified...

They're lying. Sort-of. A little.

A google search will turn up huge threads here, on this very topic, but the short answer is that some stuff LP sells has a manufacturer's warranty and some doesn't, and the only way to find out which has what warranty is to call and ask them.

LP will match the manufacturer's warranty, but only if you send it back to LP for service, so if you value the manufacturer's warranty, and you like local service, buy locally. If you value the money more than the warranty and the convenience of not needing to ship your stuff every time it needs work, feel free to buy from LP.

It's really your decision whether or not the price difference is worth losing local warranty service.

OTOH, aside from the warranty, any dealer that won't service the reg for cash, because of where you bought it is just being stupid.

Terry

OTOH, aside from the warranty, any dealer that won't service the reg for cash, because of where you bought it is just being stupid.

Terry

AKA, find a new LDS that won't take you for a fool. Just use them for their loss leaders, like air fills and grab a few free magazines when you leave.

not-this-again.jpg

LP is now an authorized Oceanic dealer. I purchased a set from LP, contacted Oceanic and registered them with no problems.

My question is, when I need my equipment serviced, how would the local dive shop know where I bought it?

Better yet, how would they know you bought it? I get gifts all the time and I don't ask where they came from.

If you buy a brand that LeasurePro is authorized to sell, there is no issues. If you buy a brand that LeasurePro is not an authorized dealer of, you do not have a manufactures warranty, but do have a LeasurePro warranty and have to return the reg to LP for warranty service.

Check the manufacturers web site before you buy from anyone so you know whats up.

They're lying. Sort-of. A little.

A google search will turn up huge threads here, on this very topic, but the short answer is that some stuff LP sells has a manufacturer's warranty and some doesn't, and the only way to find out which has what warranty is to call and ask them.

LP will match the manufacturer's warranty, but only if you send it back to LP for service, so if you value the manufacturer's warranty, and you like local service, buy locally. If you value the money more than the warranty and the convenience of not needing to ship your stuff every time it needs work, feel free to buy from LP.

It's really your decision whether or not the price difference is worth losing local warranty service.

Terry

Exactly my thoughts and experience!

One way they will know where you bought it is that you will need to show the receipt to obtain warranty service and free parts. Although LP is an authorized dealer for Oceanic, LDSs are independent businesses and can deny service if they don't like the name on your receipt (or any other stupid reason including some that are against the law). Dump your dive shop and find a good one.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom