Legend Supreme vs. Legend LX Supreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CPDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Throughout my lifes gear purchases I could bring you to tears with cases of "rebuys". I know you have all been there, you identify 2 gear options and choose the more "reasonable" option. Then 1-2 years later (or 2 months later) you turn around and purchase the gear option you really wanted from the start. Well I am trying to avoid any further rebuys and would appreciate a bit of your thoughts on the AL Legend Supreme vs the Legend LX supreme.

I just placed an order for an AL Legend Supreme and am questioning whether an upgrade to the LX supreme would be worth the extra $$ (I have 3-4 days to change the order). I am a recreational diver who rarely exceeds 110 feet(Warm and cold water). From what I have read it appears the Legend breathes just about as well as the LX, it just lacks the breathing adjustment found on the LX. Does the adjustment make that much of a diffrence in ease of breathing at deeper rec depths or does it come into play at significantly non rec depths? Or is it just another bell and whistle that adds little to the performance of the reg? Also, is the adjustment on the LX a PITA to adjust while wearing gloves at depth?

Also, I was considering the Apeks ATX 50. I have gleaned from this board that the AL Legend family and the Apeks regs are the big fan favorites. I am leaning towards AL Legend b/c I have been told you can get an AL reg fixed on just about any island or dive spot in the world, and while Apeks are becoming quite popular, they are not as widdely distributed as the ALs (despite the fact AL owns Apeks). Does this logic appear to be sound?

Also, SUUNTO Vyper vs Vytek? is the extra $$ of the Vytek (non air integrated version) worth it?

Any info you have is greatly appreciated.

Sorry about the length of the post - I'll try to keep them shorter in the future.

You'll find differences of opinion on the Supreme vs the LX. I have the LX and like it. The adjustable feature is nice to have if you're having your regs serviced at an LDS. It allows you to tweak the tuning of the reg to fit your needs. The tech usually just tunes it to where he thinks it needs to be. The knob on the LX is large enough to make it easy to turn with gloves on. I can't help you with your other questions other than saying I wouldn't buy a Suunto because they are way too conservative. I prefer to choose my own level of conservativism.

There are 5 minor differences in the Aqualung Legend Lx and the LX Supreme.

1.) There is a little snowflake molded in the plastic of the Supreme 2nd stage.
2.) The LX Supreme comes with a "silver" ring on the regulator, and the gold on the LX
3.) The LX Supreme has a mouthpiece guard that adds a little warmth to your lips and is easily removeable. (you pull it off).
4.) The "intermediate pressure" of the LX supreme is I think around 135psi to help with colder water while the LX is around 150psi. But you can easily reset the 135 to 150psi at your LDS, which is what I did.
5.) The LX supreme cost $15 more list price.

Other than that, it's the same regulator.

mike_s:
There are 5 minor differences in the Aqualung Legend Lx and the LX Supreme.

1.) There is a little snowflake molded in the plastic of the Supreme 2nd stage.
2.) The LX Supreme comes with a "silver" ring on the regulator, and the gold on the LX
3.) The LX Supreme has a mouthpiece guard that adds a little warmth to your lips and is easily removeable. (you pull it off).
4.) The "intermediate pressure" of the LX supreme is I think around 135psi to help with colder water while the LX is around 150psi. But you can easily reset the 135 to 150psi at your LDS, which is what I did.
5.) The LX supreme cost $15 more list price.

Other than that, it's the same regulator.

All good info Mike. Unfortunatly, I think you may have missread his question. I did the same thing. He isn't trying to decide b/w the LX and LX Supreme, he's trying to decide b/w the Supreme and the Supreme LX. The key difference between the LX and non-LX is the adjustment knob for breathing effort. Given how new I am to diving, I can't really say how important it is. All of the regs I've used have had one, and the reg I'm going to buy will have one. But I'd like those more experienced to chime in on how important it is. I think it might be worth changing you order to the LX, but that's just my (very inexperienced) opinion.

ah... yep... you're right. He was asking a slightly different question than I answered. I guess all the regulators just run together after a while! thanks for point that out.

I really don't use the adjustment knob much, but that's just me. I've seen a few people on the surface use it if a reg that is not in a divers mouth free-flows some they'll turn the adjustment knob some to stop the free flow, but that's about it.

what's the diff in "list price" between the Legend Supreme and Legend Lx Supreme to get the 2nd stage adjustment knob? about $100 bucks?

mike_s:
what's the diff in "list price" between the Legend Supreme and Legend Lx Supreme to get the 2nd stage adjustment knob? about $100 bucks?

I believe the list on the Legend Supreme is $510 and on the Legend LX Supreme is $610.

I first bought a Legend, then a Legend LX. I personally, cannot feel any difference between the two except when I add more resistance with the LX knob adjustment. So the knob usually stays wide open. I would not "upgrade" to the LX if I was to made a decision today.

I had a Suunto EON, "wired" air integrated computer, upgraded to a Vytec computer and love it. For low tech diving, I would always use a wireless computer from now on.

I dive the LX Supreme and am very happy with it. Ill buy another tomorrow if I need to. I did have to have a total rebuild after about 200 dives but why not!!!! Its my lifeline eh. Editing to add that 200 dives was about 18 months of use!!!!

Back
Top Bottom