Legend LX vs. MK25 X650

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidB

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a last option I got, I would like to get more details on this caomparason if somebody did it already.
I was sure about the Legend but i think i can get the Scubapro for a better price...

Can you help?/

I bought the MK25 X650 just a few weeks ago. I've only played around with it once in the pool. It's going to Cozumel NEXT WEEK!!!! and it's taking me with it. I'll let you know what I think when I get back. After 5 minutes I could tell that I despised the mouthpiece. I bought a smaller one and it seems comfortable.

I like the Sp mouthpiece, but then I have been accused of having a big mouth.

I have used and worked on both the MK 25 X650 and Aqualung Legend LX and both are great regs.

However my preference if you are comparing regs to an Aqualung Legend would be to get a Scubapro Mk 17 X650. The Mk 17 is similar to the Aqualung Legend first stage except it has even better cold water performance. The Mk 17 X650 combo also offers excellent performance but at a significantly lower price than the Mk 25 X650.

Scubapro MK17/S600, or MK17 and the older model D400. The MK25 is a top-of-the-line piston first stage if you prefer a piston with swivel.

I replace all of my mouthpieces with the Comfo-Bite. However, once you get the standard Scubapro mouthpiece in your mouth, it's definitely not going anywhere.

DA Aquamaster:
I like the Sp mouthpiece, but then I have been accused of having a big mouth.

I have used and worked on both the MK 25 X650 and Aqualung Legend LX and both are great regs.

However my preference if you are comparing regs to an Aqualung Legend would be to get a Scubapro Mk 17 X650. The Mk 17 is similar to the Aqualung Legend first stage except it has even better cold water performance. The Mk 17 X650 combo also offers excellent performance but at a significantly lower price than the Mk 25 X650.

Hello DA:

What is your opinion on the latest X650 vs. the older ones both of us tried when they first came out? I see you are recommending it.

Thanks!

I own both, have around 40 dives on the Legend LX and 80 on the x650. They are about the same in my opinion. I have had them both down to 170 and in 44 degree water. It is all down to brand preference.
:monkeydan

I think the X650 as currently manufactuered or upgraded is probably as good as the S600 with perhpas slightly smoother breathing. However I like both of them a lot less than a D400, and a bit less than the pre "HP" G250 or an older R156 Balanced Adjustable.

My major beef with the X650 is that it was marketed as D400 replacement and it comes nowhere close to a D400 interms of the subjective quality and smoothness of breathing and it does not offer the same case geometry fault advantages as the D400.

Personally, if I were ordering through a dealer, I would get a Mk 17 packaged with either a G250HP and save a fair amount of money or get a MK 17 packaged with an S600 for about the same money - but have a reg that will probably have a higher resale value as the S600 is more popular.

The major reason I still own my X650 is that it works very well on my KM-48 full face mask where a lightly tuned D400 stutters a bit due to the way the lower pod is designed.

DA...thanks a lot for that update. As usual, you provide valuable input.

Ok, I checked the price of the MK17 with X650 and it is $100 more than a Legend LX, is the Mk17 better ? Is it worth the extra $100?

My dive profile are mostly around 160feet in the coldest temperature of 59F.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom