Legend LX Supreme...is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm tossing between the Titan ADJ LX Supreme and the Legend LX Supreme. I'm on a fairly tight budget but I want to buy a reg that will last a VERY long time. I'm still fairly new to diving so I dont know exactly where I will be going, how deep, how cold etc. At the moment, I'm diving in 15-25 degrees celcius water down to 15m, but soon I'll be taking a deep diving course and hope to go down to at least 30m. I'm also hoping to do some diving around the Netherlands later on... no idea how cold it gets! Would love to dive in arctic condition but who knows... I may be getting a little carried away.
Basically what I'm asking is to what depth and temperature can you dive with the Titan ADJ LX supreme without discomfort.

Thanks,
Emilie

From a mechanical standpoint the Legend and Titan first stages share the same basic seat carrier, orifice and diaphragm design and any difference in performance is not going to be noticeable. Both are essentially rewarmed and slightly refined Conshelf first stages.

The adjustable inhalation effort on the Legend is nice to have however and is worth the money. It will allow you to fine tune the cracking effort to the minimum you can achieve in any particular position. It will also allow you to compensate for minor break-in and wear of the LP seat and will probably save you a trip to the shop over time.

Someone posted previously on the Legend's performance on the Monitor, but that has a lot less to say about reg performance than you would think as helium mixes flow through regulators much better than air.

The poppet (or shuttle valve as Aqualung calls it) in the Legend second stage is a one piece version of Scubapro's older poppet design and the air barrel in the Legend second stage is very similar to the air barrel in the older Scubapro G250. Not surprisingly the two second stages perform essentially identically.

Someone also posted that the Legend at one point had the lowest WOB in the world. At the level of design you find with top end regulators, it the tuning and adjustment that make the difference in terms of work of breathing. I am always very skeptical of a WOB number as:
1. It is an average of inahlation and exhalation effort and a second stage that inflates the diver with positive pressure will offset a high exhalation effort and still show a low WOB.
2. At best it is a quantitative measure that says nothing about the smoothness of the airflow.
3. on a top end regulator it is totally very dependent on the adjustment of the individual regulator and no third party testers ever look at whether the reg tested is properly tuned for peak performance.

The legend is a good cold water reg, but it has frozen up in tests in very cold water at 165 ft after about 30 minutes. The Scubapro Mk 17 finished the same test (200 minutes in lenght) without freezing and the Mk 17 has a higher flow rate of 177 SCFM - more than enough for any diving situation.

So in short, I like the Legend second stage stage, but it offers no advantage over a Scuabpro G250 or S600 (and all three pale in comparison to the discontinued Scubapro D400 which has the most natural breathing traits of any reg I have ever owned) and the Scubapro Mk 17 is a better first stage than either the Titan or Legend.

I love my Legend. I have about 100 dives on it in the last year. Most in very cold 37-42 deg water for 30-40 min per dive. All of my dive buddies use apeks atx100 regs. I have swaped with them to check them out. They do breathe easier at dept. 130-140 ffw. I believe it is the way they are set up. I have mine set up for my breathing rate and there regs are set up for theres.

I use a titan on my deco tank. I had to get the cold water kit put on it. It would just start to freeflow at depth. A few bubbles out of the reg. After the cold water kit and some fine tuning it worked great. Get the legend It is a great reg way worth the money.

Aqualung offers free lifetime parts if you buy it from and authorized dealer and get the reg serviced every year. Think about the price of maintaining the reg before you just go for the cheapest price. I gave more that 280 but have made up the difference in parts and labor in just a couple of years

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom