Legal & other issues from SG Mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shakeybrainsurgeon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This raises an odd issue, and I mean no disrepect for bringing it up here: if, theoretically, bodies can't be recovered from a wreck, what does that do to the wreck as a recreational site? First, there's the issue of respect for the fallen and second, the more practical issue of divers trying to penetrate beyond their abilities out of morbid curiosity.

Spratman:
Having not dove on the SG, I wonder if they were doing real wreck penetration and if so, were they trained to do that?? I don't know anything of the operator either.

It doesn't matter who the dive op was. It's just a boat ride, the rest is up to the divers.

Terry

shakeybrainsurgeon:
This raises an odd issue, and I mean no disrepect for bringing it up here: if, theoretically, bodies can't be recovered from a wreck, what does that do to the wreck as a recreational site? First, there's the issue of respect for the fallen and second, the more practical issue of divers trying to penetrate beyond their abilities out of morbid curiosity.

The divers have to be brought up. There needs to be an autopsy done to confirm COD. It could be anything at this point. I will not speculate. Let's wait till the facts come out.

Mike

Web Monkey:
It doesn't matter who the dive op was. It's just a boat ride, the rest is up to the divers.

Terry

Good point, although I will say I have been diving on the Grove with people who have no right being on that wreck. Where does the operators screening process begin and individual accountability end?

I'm in no way saying these divers weren't qualified nor am I saying Scuba Do did anything wrong here, I don't know enough about this situation to make that statement. Just pointing out that I have seen operators take divers to this wreck who clearly weren't prepared for the potential challenges it offers.

ONESPEED:
Good point, although I will say I have been diving on the Grove with people who have no right being on that wreck. Where does the operators screening process begin and individual accountability end?

I'm in no way saying these divers weren't qualified nor am I saying Scuba Do did anything wrong here, I don't know enough about this situation to make that statement. Just pointing out that I have seen operators take divers to this wreck who clearly weren't prepared for the potential challenges it offers.
agreed 100%

Mike

ONESPEED:

See Scuba-do's release form at
http://www.scuba-do.com/forms/divingrelease.pdf

It says a lot... See #7

7. [FONT=Verdana,Verdana]I acknowledge that Scuba-Do, Inc. is providing transportation only from their dock to the location for me to pursue my underwater activities and that the captain and divemaster or other agents or assigns while assisting on board the vessel are not providing instruction, protection from perils of swimming and diving/snorkeling and are not responsible for my safety while in the water.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][/FONT]

shakeybrainsurgeon:

Mike Edmonston:
The divers have to be brought up. There needs to be an autopsy done to confirm COD. It could be anything at this point. I will not speculate. Let's wait till the facts come out.

Mike

While the recovery might take a day or so.... what is standard protocol in the Keys when an accident like this happens and it takes more than one day for recovery?

Is there any official suspension of diving on the wreck by authorities or do dive operators just not run scheduled trips to there out of respect until the recovery is complete?

(I would think that you would stop diving operations on the site since it is an accident scene, until any recovery & required onsite investigation is complete).

weren't there a few deaths/serious injuries there last year? at what point do we not question the divers or the operators and start questioning the safety of the site itself for rec diving? Does anyone know of a dive site that has been declared "off limits" because of a high accident rate and who has the authority to do this>

shakeybrainsurgeon:
weren't there a few deaths/serious injuries there last year? at what point do we not question the divers or the operators and start questioning the safety of the site itself for rec diving? Does anyone know of a dive site that has been declared "off limits" because of a high accident rate and who has the authority to do this>

Why would Key Largo give up one of it's biggest tourist attractions, because of a small percentage of incidents?

It's an advanced dive, that lots of beginners go out on and dive. When you sign up, you're risking YOUR life - PERIOD.

If you're not good enough to make the dive; it's YOUR responsibility to not go.

howarde:
Why would Key Largo give up one of it's biggest tourist attractions, because of a small percentage of incidents?

It's an advanced dive, that lots of beginners go out on and dive. When you sign up, you're risking YOUR life - PERIOD.

If you're not good enough to make the dive; it's YOUR responsibility to not go.

I have to agree with you there. My concern is that the dive operators, tourism and dive associations/boards are not doing enough to stress the experience and comfort that are needed to make the SG dive :shakehead

Cheers.

-J.-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom