Left ear feels plugged.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canadianmikey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been thinking about this issue for a while and if it will have any impact on my future scuba diving. It seems that when I spend some time under the water, even if it is just swimming, my left ear will feel plugged for a day or two afterwards. I haven't had any problems equalizing my ears during the pool time in my class. I mentioned to my instructor that my left ear would feel full of water for a day after, and he said that as long as I don't feel pain, and that I can equalize with out problems, it shouldn't be an issue. My open water dives are coming up in July and I want to make sure that two consecutive days of diving wont cause any problems with this.
Does any of the more experienced have any ideas?
Thanks
MIke

I get that feeling sometimes if I do like a dive into the pool (Not a scuba dive and jump into water dive). And sometimes when I'm laying down at night in my bed the water just seems to come out but usually it only lasts a few ours not days on end. What I would do is go to a regular doctor and ask him about it. If he doesn't know or he gives you an answer that you don't like I would look up a doctor that also specializes in scuba medicine.

Yes, ask a doctor, especially if the plugged feeling gives you any pain. I have no medical knowledge, but have had ear issues:

--Do you notice when the water enters the ear deeply? I must try not to go "sideways" too much when putting my fins on in 3 feet of water. Making sudden "flippy" moves underwater also can shoot water in there.
--Have you tried Doc's Pro Plugs (for diving--they have pin holes that allow equalizing)? They don't keep all water out, but they keep it from going in too far (unless I do what's described above).
--When you stand up have you tried shaking your head --hard-- in the direction of the bad ear--to expel the water?
--If water remains, I try to sleep on my side with that ear down.
--Ear drops work wonders for me most of the time. An hour or so after using them they seem to dry up the water in there.
--Have you ever had a bad case of "swimmer's ear". This is caused by the water in there doing something to part of the ear somewhere which makes something expand......not really from bacteria, I've heard. This can develop and it can be really painful--my brother was hospitalized once. Perhaps if you're diving fresh water you haven't experienced this yet?
--If you're using a hood on the OW dives I wouldn't use the plugs as well, as they tend to move around inside the hood. The hood keeps water from going way in as well (again, no quick sideways moves).
--Equalizing would seem to be irrelevant to your problem. I, too, never have problems with that, yet have the ear water issues.

I've been thinking about this issue for a while and if it will have any impact on my future scuba diving. It seems that when I spend some time under the water, even if it is just swimming, my left ear will feel plugged for a day or two afterwards. I haven't had any problems equalizing my ears during the pool time in my class.

The "plugged" feeling is usually barotrauma. You're probably having equalization issues and don't realize it.

Check out "The diver's ear under pressure" for more information: Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page

flots

Yes, I agree with flots am. Watch the video on that link! I had the same feeling and the video explains everything and also gives new tips on equalizing that could be more effective. If you're using the Valsalva method (pinch your nose and blow) you might be blowing too hard, causing barotrauma, hence the plugged feeling.

divergirl

I used to suffer with this issue until I started diving regularly, worried me to as I had a history of ear problems as a child.

It was predominantly my right ear and would feel like it remained under water when the rest of me got out (sometimes for a week or two) after weeks diving holiday.

Last February I stated diving regularly - going over to the Canary Islands for at least a week at a time every five or six weeks - never had the problem since. I also agree with flots am, it's a barotrauma, which suggests that my ears have simply become used to constantly equalising. As I dive in Spain I have to have a dive medical every 24 months and no damage has been detected.

Doubt you should be worried but as other have said, if there is any doubt then there is no doubt - speak to your doctor (especially if it is pain not merely discomfort).

Thanks for asking this question canadianmikey. I've had a similar issue with my right ear. I just recently started having the same symptoms with my right ear. No pain, day to clear, but feels like it's under water several days after diving. I'll take a look at Doc's Diving Medicine to see if his technique will help me.

If it's water it might be more similar to swimmers ear. You can drip rubbing alcohol in there, which will join with the water to make enough liquid to pour out of your ear. Then the alcohol will dry the rest up.

If it's inner ear congestion, maybe try a neti-pot before and after.

Do you have water coming out of your ear when it clears?

I used to have the same problem when I first started diving as a kid. For me it was my right ear. I would get out of the water and my ear would feel plugged for several hours until, suddenly, a little bit of water would drip out and the ear would clear. It turned out that I have deep outer ear canals and, as an eleven-year-old, narrow canals that made it difficult for water to drain. I learned to apply gentle suction to my ear using my cupped hand or by lying on me right side and pressing my ear against my upper arm. As I grew older, my ear canal widened and the problem went away.

As someone else said, you could try a few drops of Swimmer's Ear to see if that helps. This is just an idea, but you might also try a little experiment to see if it is, indeed, just water stuck in your ear. Next time you are in the shower, work some water into your ear and see if it gets stuck. There will be no pressure so there is no danger of barotrauma. If you experience the plugged feeling, then you can explore ways to empty your ear after a dive. If not, then you'll know to work on your equalization technique.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom