LED vs. Halogen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjthomas84

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok so I know the diffrences in the color light the battery length and the way they are made....but can anyone tell me the diffrence as far as night diving.

I want to know more specifically if one is better than the other as far as being able to see better. Does either halogen or LED shine farther or wider circumfrance than the other? I am trying to choose a light and I have looked at several. I want the type (LED/ Halogen) that is going to let me have the best feild of veiw on a night dive.

Thanks

You would be hard pressed to find a halogen that can outshine a 3W LED light. LED is the way to go.

Depends on the light. I have priceton tec shockwave and it's pretty bright. But it does not come close to my Nocturnal TL50 extreme halogen with either a 20,35,or 50 watt bulb. It in turn does not have as tight a beam as my salvo 12watt rebel LED nor is it as bright. The Nocturnal can light up a wider area but the salvo penetrates better with a whiter light. Also field of view is not always better when it bigger. Wider field of view may make signaling harder, will not usually penetrate as far, and can be distracting to others. ALthough a nice tight laser like beam gets peoples attention as well! A wider beam will also reflect more off of particulates in the water further reducing it's range. It's all a matter of personal choice but I love the 6 degree beam on my salvo for damn near everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom