LED Ring light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bronk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just completed my LED ring light. 6 CRE XR-E leds.
2 strings of 3 LEDsm driven at 1 amp each.
Current regulator is 2 7135 boards (3 chips each from Deal Extreme)
It fits an Ikelite housing and macro port.

First dive tomorrow night with it in Lake Michigan.

Mark Bronkalla's Photos | Facebook

Last edited:
That looks really cool ! I had the idea to make a similar one for ground photography with macro shots and never really took the time, now doing it water tight must be a real challenge ! Do you have any more details on how you did it ? Maybe I should wait until you come back from the first dive :wink:

Conceptually pretty simple.
It is 2 rings - one aluminum and one acrylic. The electronics are glued down to the aluminum ring with silicone heat sink adhesive (from DX). The outer edge was cut on a metal cutting band saw. I drilled a hole in the table as a pivot point for each piece and cut them with a 1/2" blade (this is about the limit for minimum radius for that blade. The center hole was cut with a 4 1/4" hole saw. Holes in the plastic for the LEDs and regulators were cut with oridnary forstner bits - just go slow. The holes for hte screws were gang drilled. DO 2, tap and insert the first 2 screws (6-32x3/4). Then drill the rest. Next grab a beer and the tapping jig and carefully tap the other 22.
Everything was cleaned up on an oscillating spindle sander. The outer edge of the plastic was painted white to not waste the light.
Once it is wired up and test fitted, a thin bead of pure GE silicone adhesive (clear) is applied wiht a hypodermic syringe all the way around all of the openings. The light is assembled and slowly and evenly clamped down (4-6 passes on all of the screws).
The led are in 2 stings - effectively right and left. The switch is DPST center off. one way lights the right string only, and the other lights both.
The canister is the same for my other lights 12v 4.5 AH NIMH battery pack in 2" PCV schedule 40 pipe. This way all 3 lights have interchangeable packs (my primary, my wife's and the ring light).

Well it survived the first dive. 85 foot max depth tonight.
It puts out an amazing amount of light. The "area light" of the ring light complements the spot of the canister light well. I used a flash as supplement, but it would not have been necessary.
First shots at: Mark Bronkalla's Photos | Facebook
Getting in close to the zebra mussels is kind of interesting.

Back
Top Bottom