LED light help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSwain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to buy some led lights for doing some video. I don’t want a professional set just something to help out on color when getting close to things. I am looking at 3 different ones right now. I have a few questions on them.

#1 has a total of 6 watts with one 3 watt led in the center and 3-1watt leds around the center one, for a total of 6 watts and 500 lumens 73 deg beam angle runs off of 4 AA batteries 1.5 hrs on high power
127034620358776t.jpg

#2 has a total of 15 watts with 3-5 watt leds and 510 lumens and a 45deg beam angle and runs off of 8 C batteries up to 10 hrs on high
prov8.jpg

#3 has a 3-CREE P4 (not sure of the wattage of these) and 500 lumens and a beam angle of 49deg up to 3 hours on high with a rechargeable battery.
Supernova-new-front-view-150x150.jpg

All have around 500 lumens so what does the wattage have to do with the led or brightness?

Price range is $350 for 2 of #1 to about $500 for 2 of either of the other 2.

So if they are all about the same 500 lumens will they have about the same light coverage and water penetration? I guess this is some what determined by the beam angle too?

Thanks for any help!

All have around 500 lumens so what does the wattage have to do with the led or brightness?

So if they are all about the same 500 lumens will they have about the same light coverage and water penetration? I guess this is some what determined by the beam angle too?

Thanks for any help!

Wattage is product of voltage and amperage drawn. In theory, higher wattage means brighter light, but depends on LED used.

Coverage a direct result of beam angle, higher angle is broader coverage, but less intensity, so select based on what you want to shoot.

Penetration is, I believe, also affected by color temp of light.

The Intova is a very nice light. Integrated battery pack, so no opportunity to switch power supplies. I read a few months ago that this light was pulled from production because of a problem, airport TSA inspection had an issue with the integrated, non-removable battery, because they couldn't properly "inspect" it. That has not happened to me on any of my flights, international or not. Supposedly, they are redesigning for removable battery pack like the LED FIX light uses. From a functional perspective, the only advantage would be that you could carry a spare [but expensive] battery pack with you. Maybe this statement is accurate, maybe not. Write Intova, they're good at responding.

The high beam draws 1 amp, but don't know how the 18650s are wired. In general, I would intend to ignore wattage in selection process, different types of leds have different characteristics.

The light is nearly floodproof, unlike the FIX LEDS, but if it does flood [I forgot to replace the cap for the charger connection], it is definitely done for, but you could say the same for most lights. This light is definitely my favorite.

Using 2 lights is better than one, but I seriously doubt 4 AAs will power one for 90 minutes. But if you stick to rechargeable, and swap out every 1-2 dives, should be fine.

For the second, carrying 8 Cs [rechargeable] plus spare set or two and the large chargers needed, can be a weight issue if you fly.

Most likely, LED lights with the similar lumen rating and beam angle will look similar. Go on youtube and search for Ikelite Pro-v8. You'll find footage shot with the light.

the other difference would be what Led's there useing , and what color Bin they are ? some led brands are better than others .. Like Cree Vs Luxeon.. etc..etc..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom