LED light comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supersand

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here's a quick non-scientific comparison I did with four different LED flashlights. Basically I set up the lights 4 feet (~1.22M) away from a white wall (in air) and shot the photos in my camera's manual mode with the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO fixed for all the shots. For size comparison the ruler on the wall is a 12 inch (~30.5cm) ruler. For both series the lights are in the same order starting in the upper left is the Salvo 12watt LED, upper right is the UK SL4 eLED, bottom left is the Oxycheq Raider III, and bottom right is the Sartek EBL 6600C light. Just looking at the hotspots in the top photos doesn't tell the complete picture since there is significant spill light thats difficult to capture in a photo without blowing out the highlights so I've included a hot and coldspot highlight photo to indicate where the image was either totally underexposed (no light, blue colored) or totally overexposed (light saturated, red colored). The dark areas in the highlight photos have some light that can still provide useful illumination. Keep in mind I shot the photos more as a comparison of light output between the different lights and not as the actual amount of illumination you'll typically see with your eye from them, as having any of these lights on pretty much lights up the whole room except maybe the laser pointer like beam from the Raider III.

Hope this helps someone out.

NoHiLightgrab.jpg

Screen_grab.jpg

This UK light is the 116 lumen version.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom