Leaving for St.Lucia Saturday and ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skinsfan1311

Contributor
Reaction score
...I have a few questions. I just got my open water certification, in October. I'll be staying at the Sandals Grande St. Lucian and will be taking the Advanced Open Water while there. I'll also be diving, in June, on a cruise to Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel & Belize...I've snorkeled in Coz & Belize and am really looking forward to diving those places....as a new diver, I have the basics, (mask, fins, snorkel and a 2mm shortie)...gonna hold off on purchasing the rest of the gear, until I have a few dives under my belt and an opportunity to talk to fellow divers. We take a Caribbean trip at least once a year, so I'll be diving every year....with that in mind.... here are my questions:
1)How do you transport your damp wet-suit on the plane...will a garbage bag work?
2)I'll be diving in Coz...should I take Drift Diving as one of my electives?
3)What are the typical rookie mistakes that newbies tend to make? (so I can try to avoid them!
Any suggestions, tips, etc. that anyone can make, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Skinsfan1311:
...I have a few questions. I just got my open water certification, in October. I'll be staying at the Sandals Grande St. Lucian and will be taking the Advanced Open Water while there. I'll also be diving, in June, on a cruise to Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel & Belize...I've snorkeled in Coz & Belize and am really looking forward to diving those places....as a new diver, I have the basics, (mask, fins, snorkel and a 2mm shortie)...gonna hold off on purchasing the rest of the gear, until I have a few dives under my belt and an opportunity to talk to fellow divers. We take a Caribbean trip at least once a year, so I'll be diving every year....with that in mind.... here are my questions:
1)How do you transport your damp wet-suit on the plane...will a garbage bag work?
3)What are the typical rookie mistakes that newbies tend to make? (so I can try to avoid them!
Any suggestions, tips, etc. that anyone can make, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

As far as damp wetsuits (or anything) it doesn't hurt to have a garbage bag in case, but really there's no reason you should have damp stuff. Since you won't be flying for at least the better chunk of a day after diving (right?), you'll have plenty of time to dry things out. Your patio, balcony, or room will be decorated with drying stuff on your last day.

Damselfish:
As far as damp wetsuits (or anything) it doesn't hurt to have a garbage bag in case, but really there's no reason you should have damp stuff. Since you won't be flying for at least the better chunk of a day after diving (right?), you'll have plenty of time to dry things out. Your patio, balcony, or room will be decorated with drying stuff on your last day.

Makes sense to me! Thanks!

Skinsfan1311:

1) Damselfish already answered that one.
2) You WILL be drift diving in Cozumel. If you want the specialty under your belt, that will be a great, I mean GREAT place to get it. If you plan on getting your AOW, I would take the drift and boat specialties to apply toward the AOW requirements, If not, then hang on to your $ for the gear later. I would make sure the local DM that will guide the tour knows your experience level.
3) Make sure you stay above the DM tour lead and pay attention to the briefing on the boat. It IS IMPORTANT.

Of the places you list, I have only een to Cozumel. You will love it there. I believe there is a Scubaboard member named Christi that has a dive shop in Cozumel that can fix you right up if you do not already have one lined up. I would line up your own dive trip in Cozumel and not let the cruise sales people dictate who you use. Do the research and choose one yourself.

HTH
DM

In terms of mistakes or rather things to work on, I would focus on your buoyancy. Divers who are good at this skill are more in control and therefore more calm in the water. That leads to a slower rate of air consumption, better positioning in the water (ie - not dragging on the reef or bumping the top of a swim through) and an overall better experience.

I think the most common mistake that I see in inexperienced divers is the ill-conceived need for speed. Really, its more about thinking they need to see everything and being overly excited. In fact, going slower will allow you to see a lot more. Try a frog kick, its great for leisurely reef dives (any dive really). Watch you dive guide, how he moves through the water... slow, relaxed and looking with his eyes - not by swimming all over the place.

The second biggest thing is the need for gadgets, toys and accessories. Not having much personal stuff will help in this regard. Look at most experienced dive guides and instructors and you'll see they are pretty minimalistic on fun dives. This too allows you to move more easily through the water (ie, glide) and spend more time observing rather than playing with your gear.

All of this plays right in to the comment about bouyancy control. It is truly key to enjoying your dive. Good bouyancy control comes with experience and continually improves (hopefully) but a Peak Performance Bouyancy class or the like is a good way to jump start it.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks Everyone! Those are great tips...I was up in the air, concerning taking the AOW so soon after getting my OW cert. I read the pros and cons and got so many differing opionions, that I decided to contact my OW instructor. I was certified in a small class he and his helpers, were able to spend a great deal of time, and patience, with each of us. (He came highly recommended from many in our local dive community; I took the PADI course and I was very impressed with his thoroughness, knowledge and teaching skills) Though I did really well in OW, I am under no illusions concerning my skills and lack of experience. With that in mind, I spoke to my instructor, and asked him his opinion, as he is a professional and has first-hand knowledge of my dive skills. He told me to go for it, and suggested pretty much mirrored Divmastr's response...thanks, again everyone and I'll post a mini-review on the St. Lucia dives!

I did a dive in St. Lucia at Anse Chastanet which is south of where you will be. I was pleasantly surprised by how good this dive was. There really was a lot to see - lots of golden morays, a green moray, seahorses, spotted moray, a scorpionfish, fire coral & black coral, flamingo tongue, parrotfish, barracuda. Have fun.

After you get done diving on the last day, roll your wetsuit in a towel (or 2) and stand on it. That should help wick a lot of the water out (into the towel) and get you farther on your way to dry.

DiveMe:
After you get done diving on the last day, roll your wetsuit in a towel (or 2) and stand on it. That should help wick a lot of the water out (into the towel) and get you farther on your way to dry.
Will do! Sounds like a great idea! thanks!

Back
Top Bottom