Leaving for COZ on Dec 20th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amnstoner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All,

We are leaving for COZ on saturday and I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice before we head out. There are 5 of us who are going down for Christmas.

Here is what we have done so far,
1.Checklist for all dive gear to make sure that nothing gets left behind
2. Save a dive kit, 4 mask straps, 4 mask straps, 3 extra masks, shot cord, extra SMB, O-rings, Extra Snorkel, Extra Mouth Piece, Scuba Tools, Extra batteries.
3. Extra set of fins
4. Confirmed with Dive operator, Hotel, and airlines
5. Inventoried all the gear so we can be sure nothing stays in mexico.

Also, Had a question regarding regs, We are planning on carrying our regs in our carry on. We have them in Reg bags, but wanted to be sure nothing got thrown around or crushed. Any one have any experice on with TSA or securtiy having an issue with regulators going through security?

The only dive gear we are not bringing with us is Soft weight and tanks.

Thanks in advance,
Amnstoner

Wow you are really backed up on spare items. I usually do not have enough room to bring more then a few extra mask and fin straps. I just plan to rent anything else that might go wrong but that is me and usually we are at are max for weight.

I always bring my Regs in our carry on. Since i have had my own, I have been search 2 out of 2. I am sure they look weird on their screens and they usually ask about dive knifes after they see it is scuba gear. But for the most part it is not a big deal, just slows you down 5-10 minutes at the most.

Enjoy your trip.

Wow, sure sounds like you're well prepared! Honestly, a bit too much. In all my trips I don't recall anyone breaking a mask or fin strap on any boat. Someone once lost a fin boarding the boat but the DM quickly retrieved it by free diving to it. But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen... if they don't have an extra on the boat, someone else will. Heck, one time my wife's computer stopped working after the first dive and they had an extra on the boat that they were going to attach to her first stage! Since you'll be doing live drift diving, you want to make sure each diver has some surface signaling device such as a safety sausage, whistle or mirror.

Defiantly carry on your regs. The scanners have seen them many many times and know what they are and are perfectly acceptable as carry on items. The tussle they my take being handled at the airport won't compare to the beating they'll take handling them on the boat and transporting them to and from the boat daily. FWIW, knives are not allowed in the marine park.

If you have any more specific questions about Coz, you can post them in the Cozumel sub-forum and get more feedback.

Just returned from Coz. I did disaasemble my hoses from my first stage regulator to make more room in my carry on. My carry on contained my bc and regulator and a wrench to assemble the reg. Security pulled me aside and checked my bag measure the length of the wrench and looked at the regulator. Other than that no problem. On the return at the Cacun airport security checked my sons carry on. I believe a dive light made them suspicious. Other than a little delay no problems. Our main concern with our carry on was the size. Our bags wer ok as long as we did't stuff them to capacity. We flew Continetal and never saw them question any carry on although some were larger than mine. You might want to bring a jacket to wear between dives because it was cold especialy in a moving boat. Have fun

All,

We are leaving for COZ on saturday and I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice before we head out. There are 5 of us who are going down for Christmas.

Here is what we have done so far,
1.Checklist for all dive gear to make sure that nothing gets left behind
2. Save a dive kit, 4 mask straps, 4 mask straps, 3 extra masks, shot cord, extra SMB, O-rings, Extra Snorkel, Extra Mouth Piece, Scuba Tools, Extra batteries.
3. Extra set of fins
4. Confirmed with Dive operator, Hotel, and airlines
5. Inventoried all the gear so we can be sure nothing stays in mexico.

Also, Had a question regarding regs, We are planning on carrying our regs in our carry on. We have them in Reg bags, but wanted to be sure nothing got thrown around or crushed. Any one have any experice on with TSA or securtiy having an issue with regulators going through security?

The only dive gear we are not bringing with us is Soft weight and tanks.

Thanks in advance,
Amnstoner
Hi Amnstoner,
You sound pretty prepared. Couple of things I would add - dive lights and a light source for your tank (preferably not glow sticks) if you plan to night dive - some ops are pretty scarce on these items.
Also, I would only take bank/credit cards you need to use while there and leave the rest at home. Put in a quick call to the banks and let them know you will be in Mexico between certain dates. Some companies will cut your card off as a security precaution if they are not aware of your plans.
Take smaller bills for your cash as you will find some cab drivers just cannot make change :)
Proof or dive/travel insurance is also a god thing to have.

Definitely pack regs and computers in your carry-on - it wont be a problem, just give yourself time to get through security incase TSA wants to look through your bag.

Make sure your check list includes money, C-cards, passports and credit cards and have them all in your carry on of course - these things will really mess your vacation up if you leave them behind - everything else can be sorted out one way or another.

Hope you have a fantastic time!!!

Change in Mexico is hard to come by. When buying lunch, gifts or most anything have close to the right amount on hand. Give a shop $100 bill they most likely will tell you no change. We filled up our rented jeep before leaving coz at one of the three gas stations on the island. The attendants have big rolls of money. They will give you change but be very careful that they don't short change you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom