Leave battery in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brnt999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought my first dive computer.Because of work committments I probably won't be using it for 5 months. Is it best to take the battery out or just leave it in?

In. Most will last years if unused.

i suggest you read the manual. There are many that will become paperweights if the battery is left out of them for a prolonged period of time....

in. More chance of causing a leak messing with it all the time. Mine stays in for a couple years until it's time to replace it and usually sits at least several months between dive trips.

You can leave it in up to two years (give and take). Beyond that period, I strongly suggest you remove it. Batteries have a tendency to leak and that would, at least, ruin the electrical contacts.

In. Some computers recommend replacing O-rings each time you open the casing, so to avoid unnecessary maintenance, leave it in.

But of course, consult your manual.

In, but don't store in the the garage or shed. Heat and cold extremes sap a battery even when it is unused or under very light load.

Depends on the computer. Practically all modern ones have a long battery life and o-rings that you don't want to mess with too frequently.
On the other hand I have one DC, a Beuchat Maestro Pro circa 1995 and you never leave the batteries in for the simple reason that battery life in "off" is measured in months and not years and when battery voltage drops from the normal 3V to around 1V it goes haywire and locks up. Simply putting in new batteries doesn't make it function again - there is a trick required to get the circuit to reset and restart. The o-rings are robust with a screw-in cap and mine are still original so it's not an issue to remove and replace the batteries. The only pain is that after resetting it goes back to default configuration (imperial as opposed to metric and aggressive as opposed to the 20% conservative I normally use to make it lineup with modern diving tables and configuration is though a PC interface that only runs under DOS, not under Windows.
My main DC is a Vyper in which I do leave the batteries. The Beuchat I just power up and configure if I'm going on a multi-day dive trip to have as a reserve if anything happens to my Vyper.

Back
Top Bottom