Learning to Use Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtdesola

Registered
Reaction score
I've just purchased a Suunto Cobra computer and have a potential dive coming up on Saturday 9/27. I'll be diving with a group, and my wife will have conventional guages, but I've never used a dive computer. I've been through the manual, which is good and I've certainly managed to figure a few things out. I'm hoping respondents could give me a few practical pointers.

Thanks,

-David

:wink:

Since your uncomfortable with this here is what I would recommend.

Plan your dive as you would have without a computer for the next several dives.

During the dive look at the information on the main screen and see how it relates to the profile you preplanned.

after the dive, while you are doing your surface intervel, confirm what you thought the computer said with what actually took place.

When you first look at the manual it is easy to get overwhelmed with all the steps and things the computer can do. Truth is while diving you do not need to do anything but read the screen. All the information you need is right there. No need to push buttons or scroll through the screens.

DO NOT RELY ON THE COMPUTER FOR YOUR DIVING SAFTEY!

That is what your brain and training is for.

By the way I LOVE my cobra and you will too!

Hallmac

Thanks very much for the suggestion. That was exactly what I needed to hear!

-David

I agree with what Dave said, just get in the water the computer will be on and watch the screen it is all right there. The more you use it the easier you will find it to navigate the different screens it really isnt that difficult. The little card they give you with it for directions can be helpful. ....Fireguy

The Cobra has all kinds of menus under menus. I gave up trying to memorize them. I made several copies of the "menu map" and laminated them. One in my dive bag, one in the reg bag, etc. It's a fun toy. I like the fact that you can add a notch of conservatism to it.

press the button, jump in the water...

Plan with tables, leave an SPG on the reg if you are concerned about the AI thing.. BUT... the above is what I did with the Cobra when my wife and I did our first dives with them... While I've moved on to other computers, the Cobra was probably the one thing I purchased that had the biggest cool factor over what I had previously..

I'm an engineer, so I have a natural tendency to not read the manual, with the assumption that I'm smart enough to figure it out (sometimes true). The cobra is pretty straight-forward to navigate. I've never had problems getting it setup the way I want it...

Thanks for this advice. I'm going to jump into the pool tonight and see how that goes. Maybe I'll get a chance on Saturday to try it out in ocean off the Maine coast.

David,

If you hav'nt yet, download the demo from the Suunto webpage Cobra Demo .

It walks you through some dives showing you how the computer works.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom