Learning to dive in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,
I will be visiting the Philippines at the end of May for three weeks into June. I have never dived before, but I have been thinking learning how to dive when I am there. I've checked out some websites advertising open water courses in the Philippines and they do not look too expensive. I am not sure but I think I would have to do some PADI online eLearning before I left on my trip. Would it be practical to spend say a week in Subic and learn how to dive? If so, should I buy some of the basic gear, mask, snorkle, fins in the U.S. or buy in the Philippines?

Prices for scuba training are relatively cheap in the Philippines compared to the USA/Europe. However, within the local market/price-range do ensure that you get good quality training - evaluate courses on a like-for-like basis. There are lots of factors that differentiate a 'good' course from a 'bad' one - instructor quality is critical, as are dive center safety and having a course that 'trains the diver', rather than just providing the bare minimum standards in the shortest timescale and to the minimum cost. Open Water training is an investment - your quality of training will largely determine your comfort and safety as a diver for years to come.

Subic is a great place to learn to dive. The area is famous for ship wrecks, but there are also some lovely reef sites that are perfect for Open Water training. Most of the dive centers in the Bay are of a consistently high standard. My recommendations: for PADI courses: Arizona Dive and Johan's - for SSI courses: Blue Rock - for SDI courses: Boardwalk Dive.

More details about Subic Bay (I've dived there for 5 years - and write info/articles on my blog):

Travelling to Subic Bay

Dive Sites of Subic Bay

Philippines Travel Advice and Information

Please feel free to PM me, if you want any other local advice. :)

should I buy some of the basic gear, mask, snorkle, fins in the U.S. or buy in the Philippines?
Buy nothing except the mask and probably the snorkel at home.
Fins is not as straight forward as you would have thought.

Hi I am glad to hear that you are planning to learn to dive. I hope you find a great in Instructor in Subic.

In regards to gear, if you will not be doing any snorkeling before you come to the Philippines I would recommend that you just use rental gear for your course. You should be able to try a couple of different styles of masks and fins during your course. After the course you can purchase whatever you fill comfortable with..

It sounds like you are familiar with PADI Online training, you also have an option of SSI online training. You can read about that at SSI :: SSI Scuba Schools International :: take your dive @ diveSSI.com . The nice thing about SSI online is that it is FREE.
Good Luck,

Roger

Thanks for the responses. This information has been invaluable. I will add while looking things over on the internet I am also looking at Moalboal as an option, too. I was looking at Subic because it looks like it is easy to get there and it still may be my first option.

Dive Puerto Galera, Dive Philippines, Dive Action Divers
Dive Philippines with Mermaid Resort in Sabang, Puerto Galera, Philippines
Sabang Inn Resort, Puerto Galera, Philippines
Taga;
Diving in the Philippines can be VERY ADDICTIVE!!
I learned to dive in Boracay 2002, and have been to Puerto Galera in 2005, and Bohol in 2008.
Puerto Galera is a 2 hour bus ride sout of Manila to the Batangas pier then a 45-60 min boat trip to Sabang. Puerto has the most varied diving you can find! I dove with Action divers, and they were GREAT!! My wife got her OW with them in 2005. Good to work with new divers, and experienced!
Subic is 2 hour bus trip north of Manila, and lots of wrecks from 19'th and 20'th century!
Prices in the Philippines are on par with what you'll find in the US after the currency exchange. I agree, buy just the Mask, snorkel and fins before you go, although the equiptment rental is not too much extra $.
I'm close to you, I live in Hoffman Estates! You're in for a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom