Learn Backmount First

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's really really common with Japanese as well. 80's are just too long for people under 5'xx" to carry arms extended, and then it's a real bear. I spent a couple of days trying to see what it would be like to have to carry tanks like that, and I realized that I would never have been able to become an instructor if I had to carry the industry standard 80's like that. Most Japanese instructors do OK with little tanks but 80's are a fight to handle for them.

On the other hand, to keep up with Japanese diving 80's, I need to carry 120's and those are a fight for me to carry in the arms or on the back.

And that is where sidemount shines. To match up divers, another 80 can be added to the mix for whichever diver needs it. I can carry 3 80's easier than twin 120's, and that is even with them hooked up SM or carried one by one.

How is it for you to carry two sidemount 80's if they are hooked up to your rig?
This is one of many reasons I always use either an AL 63 or an HP 80. That and the length of a longer tank bumps my head and butt, which drives me crazy. I will use the AL 80, if I need extra gas and nothing else is available but it's not a first choice.

Back
Top Bottom