"leaky" new BCD's??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilg

Registered
Reaction score
This is just a sanity check and I want to stress we are newly certified divers with limited diving and equipment experience.

I bought myself a knighthawk and a ladyhawk for my better-half a few weeks ago. After giving it a thorough workout in a local swimming pool we ventured into the ocean off Cozumel. Being slightly under-weighted on both occasions, I had to drain all the air from my BC several times. After the dives I found quite a bit of water had "leaked" into mine and somewhat less, but also into my wife's BC. We did use both upper and lower the pull-string purge valves during our dives as well as the power in/deflator button.

My questions are: Is this "normal and expected" for water to penetrate into the BC bladder and will the residual moisture trapped inside the bladder compromise the operational life expectancy of the BC? Obviously I tried flushing and draining it with fresh water as best as I could.

Thanks

Water routinely enters a BC, this is perfectly normal.

I happens during venting. The more often you add or dump gas the more water you will find in the BC post dive.

Tobin

I always get water in my BC bladder - I consider it normal and expected.

When I'm cleaning my gear I push down the manual inflator button and run water through it into the bladder. Then inflate (oral or power) and "swish" it around really good. Then I run it out a pull dump and repeat. Helps to clean the dump valves. After a few cycles of this I position it so the manual inflator is the lowest point, and run all the water out. Fill partially with air, and hang to dry.

---------- Post added ----------

By the way, we did LOTS of pool work in my OW class, and had the same thing then. The shop was particular that only "pool" BCs be used in the pool to cut down on cross contamination of the pool water with any biologicals from the fresh water lake that is popular local dive spot.

funny, I have a Dacor Vista and a DUI Delta that never seem to end up with water in them. The 6 SP jackets (6), as well as my new HOG wing always seem to take in water.... its normal.

Thank you all for the informative feedback. (This is really such a helpful site.) To confirm, SC_Hoaty, the steps you have listed is exactly what I've been doing and will continue in future.

Totally normal.
Unfortunately many classes don't really teach their students about maintainance as part of the open water class.

Rinse your bc inside and out after every dive. I fill my bladder with water and drain it through all the different valves then fill it with air and hang upside down to dry. When you let the air out, more water will come out as it has drained to the lowest part. Repeat as needed until its dry.

With good maintainance your bc will last a long time.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom