Leaking seams

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingCRNA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
1. I bought a suit used on eBay-CHEAP
2. It seems to fit
3. I replaced the seals myself-CHEAP and EASY
4. I get in the pool
5. I flood the suit on my very first try!
6. Discover with the aid of inflating the suit and soapy water that pretty much all the seams leak.
7. I turn the suit in side out and all the seam tape practically falls off in my hands.
8. Trilam seems intact.

I think that I can seal the seams. I have the cement. Where do I get tape for the seals? Or do I even need to tape them?

The suit is 17 or 18 years old, at least. Maybe the old tape just crumbled. The stitching is all intact, but the sealant is shot. The trilam on the suit is intact. Can the black aquaseal cement and then regular aquaseal seal the seams?

I am following the rescue diver plan. Stop, breath, think, act. The loose old crummy tape is pulled off and the suit is hanging to dry out from the flooding. I plan to finish removing the old sealing material tomorrow. Then I have to decide how to act.

What do I do?

Please do not say "buy a new drysuit". Part of the fun of this suit is in the repairing and saving of it.

Thanks.

DivingCRNA:
Yeah, I did a search. The link on that thread goes to Trident first aid supplies.
What about this post in that thread:

Dryguy:
Mac,
I own Indy Drysuit Repair Inc. If you or any of your friends ever need small quantities of repair parts or supplies please feel free to give me a call. 317-748-7121 or indydrysuitrepair.com

Thanks
Dryguy

Also, I was about to quote another post... But YOU made it! :D LINK

Rick Inman:
What about this post in that thread:

Also, I was about to quote another post... But YOU made it! :D LINK

I guess I can call them monday. I am looking more for what to do, vs. where to find what to do it with. Maybe even someone knows that this suit will never be dry again. I don't know that. I need to know if I should cut my losses at $350, or if there is a good way to fix this suit.

But, sincerely, thank you for the help.

I had a buddy - same situation. He bought a suit (from a co-worker) and it turned out to be much older that he was led to believe. He sent it in to the factory for repair and replace the seals. That was when he found out how old the suit was...the factory rep called and said the seals & material were starting to break down with age and he'd be chasing a ghost fixing the leaks. He told them to toss it.

Anyway, I guess it may be worth to tape the seams and give it a go but I would not expect a lot of longevity with the suit.

I'd recommend gamblescuba.com He gives very good advice,reasonable prices,and quick turn around time. I've used him for 10 years,and he keeps all my drysuits in tip top shape.

Back
Top Bottom