Leaking Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PAShark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife has real problems getting her mask to seal. She has lines (wrinkles) on her face which she thinks is causing the sealing problem. She's tried different masks and has a new mask so that's not the problem. I'm not sure that a new mask will make any difference. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

My dive buddy had problems with a leaking mask which turned out to be the size of her face. She was rather petite. So, we tried a few children's sizes and she finally found one that worked. Find a local shop that with staff that know how to fit a mask and try some other options.

Hope it helps.

Don't tighten the straps...Begining divers sometimes make the mistake of thinking the tighter the better....A good fitting mask should seal just by breathing in thru the nose [don't even use the straps when trying a mask] w/no air coming in...Our faces are as different as finger prints...Go to a LDS that has as big a selection of masks as you can find, the more the better....Then keep trying them until you find one that works...Do it w/o the LDS hovering over you and take your time...When you find the one that seals comfortably when you breath-in thru your nose then use the strap just to hold it in place, not seal....As you dive you'll probably change masks as you learn from experience what your preferences are...Dive long enough and you'll end up w/5-6 masks........or more :D !!!!!

If you are finding ones that fit but still get little leaks here and there you can buy a mask seal that is almost like a wax substance that many divers use when they have mustaches and refuse to shave. Good luck

Put the strap around the front of the mask. Ask her to put the mask in question on her face, inhale through nose and see if it stays on. If yes, is she OK being on SCUBA underwater with no mask?

You may want to have her also use a 2nd stage mouthpiece during the fit as it will change the contour of lower part of her face.

You may want to have her also use a 2nd stage mouthpiece during the fit as it will change the contour of lower part of her face.

-also look for bite marks on the mouthpiece, shows discomfort. I think that j2s got it right, straps too tight. -but you also have to look for grimacing (or laughing).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom