Leaking LP hose at the first stage connection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherkid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an Atomic Z2 regulator with a Mikron Octo. It is setup with a 7ft rubber hose on the Z2 and a shorter braided hose for the bungied Mikron.

The regulator was serviced about a month ago. I've done 1 beach dive and 1 pool dive since then. I was testing it recently without it hooked up to a tank.

When inhaling one the Z2 second stage with the dust cap in place no air came through as you would expect. When inhaling on the Mikron I was able to inhale air. At this point I suspected that it was an issue with the diaphragm, so I replaced it. After replacing it I was still able to inhale air. I've come to the conclusion that The leak is at the point where it screws into the first stage. I came to this conclusion, because after taking the hose off, and holding a finger over the end, it was airtight.

At this point I assumed it was the o-ring so I took one off of another hose I had laying around. After switching it, the issue has still not been fixed.

One more thing to mention is I pressurized the regulator on a full tank and did a check with soapy water. This did not show anything. I closed the valve and left it for a while. The pressure went down about 75-100 PSI, so it's a pretty slow leak, but I would like to resolve this. I'm concerned that on a deeper dive the higher intermediate pressure would cause an issue.

Thoughts? Solutions?

If it was not leaking under pressure than there is no leak. When you were inhaling on the Mikron the air could come in through either the fist stage or through another 2nd stage through the first stage.
Both stages are interconnected through the LP chamber of the 1 st stage. If I remember correctly Atomic 2nd stage releases the pressure from the seat when not under pressure. So you were just inhaling through your Z2 second stage. Micron octo has the seat always pressurized so this is why you could not inhale any air the other way.

Elan has it spot on.......you're sucking air through the Atomic 2nd stage.

As said you were breathing through the Z2 second stage which has a seat saver design where by when not pressurized the orifice is backed off from the the soft seat via a wave spring. This allows air to travel into the system. Also this is why when rinsing it is important to keep the second stage below the first stage as it is possible for water to travel into the first stage.

If it was not leaking under pressure than there is no leak. When you were inhaling on the Mikron the air could come in through either the fist stage or through another 2nd stage through the first stage.
Both stages are interconnected through the LP chamber of the 1 st stage. If I remember correctly Atomic 2nd stage releases the pressure from the seat when not under pressure. So you were just inhaling through your Z2 second stage. Micron octo has the seat always pressurized so this is why you could not inhale any air the other way.
And there's the answer. I wasn't thinking about the fact that it has that feature. It slipped my mind :dork2:

Thanks to all those who answered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom