Leaking Inflator Assemblies: Overhaul or Replace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eventually, the soft brass of which they are made ends up with enough scratches from pulling the o-rings that you can't stop the leaks

I've rebuilt a few of that kind as well, and the fundamental design isn't different from the SS inflators. That said, nobody should be scratching anything removing orings. Use a brass pick carefully, use a wooden or plastic tool with gusto, or very carefully score the oring with a razor blade and then break them off...none of which should mar any metal to which they're attached.

I'm also not sure what brass sealing surface could be getting scratched during oring removal...maybe the shaft under the orings?

DSS_82002_7-640[1].jpg

This is why I love Zeagle inflaters. They use an inexpensive Schraeder valve. That's the core used in a tire valve. I get them for about 50 cents a piece and usually keep a half dozen or so on hand. There are other o-rings in the inflater, but they never seem to need to be replaced. Also, they screw on with a garden hose connector. It sure makes it easy to flush the BC as well as to flush the inflater.

...Zeagle inflaters...
Man, you weren't lying. The service kit for an entire BC:
345-0405_save_a_dive_kit.jpg

Looks like the only parts for the inflator are the plastic valve, an o-ring, and some zip ties.

I think it takes a 5/16" allen wrench to remove the plastic plug. I just insert a new Schraeder valve in mine though and reuse the plug. Just too stinking easy to get that from an auto parts store. I think it's the simplest repair for an inflator out there.

Back
Top Bottom