Leakage #1 concern

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a concept that makes sense. Put a 15 foot water resist camera in a housing. If you get a little leak, such as a rinse tank leak, you have a reasonable chance of no damage.

Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 Underwater Camera and Underwater Housing Bundle package

The accomplished photographer will probably poo-poo this one. But, if you don't want to invest big in photography, it may be better than like-priced alternatives.

Are there any cameras/housings that appear to be above the rest when it comes to keeping the equipment dry? Looking for a product with a great track record of leak and trouble free.

Hugyfot makes some housings that you hook up to a vacuum pump, and that lets you check for many (although not all) sources of leaks before diving. They're not very popular in the US, but much more common in Europe and the Middle East.

Other than that, plastic housings like Ikelite are a little more vulnerable to developing cracks or to diving too deep, but if you forget to rinse saltwater it's less of an issue. Aluminum housings are more resistant to being dropped or to extreme depths, but more vulnerable to corrosion. Ikelite, Patina, Aquatica, Sea&Sea, Nexus and Hugyfot are all reputable housing makers. Ikelite tend to be the least expensive, Nexus are often the most expensive but also the most ergonomic. (note, these are all EXTREMLY subjective opinions, your mileage may vary, etc. etc.)

The best thing on Ikelite housings - beneath the value for the money - is that they are transparent.
This make it possible to see the smallest drop inside before he make damage, and some other drops will follow.

Chris

I was more than surprised at the price which makes me understand why some of the setups such as Sealife and Sea & Sea are such a deal.

I used to develop my own film years ago (must be huh), am a rather experienced photographer and have a Canon AE-1 that has traveled the world with me (no longer in use of course). Never, ever took one single underwater photo. Again, all I can say is WOW!
Here's an idea, since you're an old film guy: buy a used film camera and housing. I have a Nikon F90x and the corresponding Subal housing sitting in a storage bin. It was state-of-the-art at one time (the housing, at least). I'll bet a lot of others do as well, and will be happy to unload them at a steeply discounted price. (Mine is not for sale, however--they don't make $4,000 paperweights like that any more. :wink:). Then you just have to find some film and you're set. Underwater photography using film can be profoundly frustrating, but it is enormously satisfying when you (rarely) get it right. In the meantime, you will spend a lot of time cursing under your breath as rookies with point-and-shoots get better shots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom