Leak in silicone wrist zip seal :( Can I patch it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe silicone as in builders silicone for use on gutters? Its flexible and a small spot might plug the leak. Worth trying as an experiment

I don't have this glue package any more. It was something like cleaning both surfaces (I used acetone), then covering both surfaces with a thin layer of glue, then wait a minute and then press them firmly together and keep it so for a moment. It said, the process of drying is fully completed after 24 hours so I left it pressed together for the entire period. However, you should follow the instructions on your package, not mine, I guess... :)

I'm just trying to figure out what kind of glue you used. Sounds like contact cement, ie, NOT the one in my picture. Your last post will greatly help me narrow it down on the Bison web site.

Last edited:
It seems to me that if you had the foresight to buy cuffs which allow you to easily swap a damaged seal, then this would be an excellent time to demonstrate how clever you were by doing just that.

Silicone seals are notoriously fragile once damaged. That pinhole will most assuredly tear and leave you wet and cranky.

Replace it and you know you'll be good.

Last edited:
I did a fairly extensive search on gluing silicone and found a product called 'Sil-Poxy'. It's expensive but is supposed to glue silicone effectively. I have a 1in slice in a fairly new silicone neck seal (zip) that I want to try this on. I figure on cutting a patch (like an inner tube patch) from the silicone neck seal material I trimmed when fitting the seal, then gluing it on with this stuff. Given the seal is pooched now, it's a low risk test. Worst case I get wet again, although I would not even try diving it unless the patch seemed very solid when I was done.

So i bought some but haven't tried it yet.

I did a fairly extensive search on gluing silicone and found a product called 'Sil-Poxy'. It's expensive but is supposed to glue silicone effectively. I have a 1in slice in a fairly new silicone neck seal (zip) that I want to try this on. I figure on cutting a patch (like an inner tube patch) from the silicone neck seal material I trimmed when fitting the seal, then gluing it on with this stuff. Given the seal is pooched now, it's a low risk test. Worst case I get wet again, although I would not even try diving it unless the patch seemed very solid when I was done.

So i bought some but haven't tried it yet.

Keep us posted! I'd really like to know how it goes. Thank you.

Background referred to in Exhaust valve leaking? but basically my left arm was full of water, DUI replaced my exhaust valve, my left arm was still full of water, I swapped my wrist seal for a dry glove and my arm stayed dry, and then some troubleshooting tips from Janet at DUI on the phone and Kathy here

Tonight I stuck my dive light in the wrist opening, shined it around, and found one spot where the slightest bit of light was coming through the silicone, about 1" from the zip ring. It looked like it was either slightly abraded or pinched. Since it's silicone, is there anything to try patching a silicone wrist seal with, since it's not torn? Silicone adhesive? Aquaseal, since it works on anything? Or is my wrist zip seal toast and only option is to pop a new one in (which is why I keep spares)?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom