Lead shot/pellets for soft weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In addition to scuba I do shotshell reloading, among other things. I can tell you that you probably wont get better prices than the ones you can get at the Vancouver Gun Club. They sell reclaimed lead shot. It's usually not as perfectly round as virgin shot, but it's perfectly fine for short range skeet. You'll get a mixture of sizes 7.5, 8, and 9. All of this may be relevant if you plan to do some reloads. If you plan to use it for scuba, it's going to be just as good as virgin shot.

About 4 years ago, when I was still a club member you could get a 25lb bag for $10. I didn't renew my membership because I got into flying and I also got my own clay bird thrower. That plus the scuba, didn't leave much time available to spend with the good folks at the club.

Back when I was a regular, a sweet old lady, Mildred, used to be manning the counter on Saturdays and Sundays. The VGC is in Richmond on Sidaway Road in between Westminster Highway and Blundell. It is located on the east side of the road. You'll find people in there at around 10am on Saturdays and Sundays.

Thanks! Reliable has some insane price on their webpage like $33/lb for buckshot.
Each individual buck shot has to be individually casted in a mold. This makes it very expensive. Bird shot, is dripped through a very tall water tower that allows molten lead to form into little balls, cool down to solidify enough not to deform when it hits bottom. It is a much more efficient process.

If you do decide to go to VGC be aware that reclaimed shot is not always available. Sometimes you have to wait a couple of weeks before it is available. Someone has to go down to a shallow muddy pond/mud pit, shove out the shot, wash it and pack it. You may want to give them a call before heading out: Phone: 604-278.0832

BTW, how are you planning to do your soft weights?

Someone is going to sell me a couple of old ones and I'll gut them open, wash it out and pack them into the bags that came with my scooter.

Actually you know I have 2-4 5lb "soft" weights you could have for some token payment if you need more. I bought them for bc pockets but they ended up not fitting at all, they are a bit of a bulky shape and rock hard. Would probably be fine used for the project you are planning, IE repacking etc.

Edit: you could just have em if you come get em, let me know if you are interested, I'll see how many I have. They aren't doing me any good in my locker. Pay it forward etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom