LDS's you use the most

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sabbath999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just curious what LDS's most people here frequent.

We (Biologic is my wife) did our OW training and bought our BC's, regs & masks at Captain Nemo's in Columbia, MO. We also shop (and have taken several courses) at Y-Kiki in St. Louis.

I like both shops very much, and have been pleased with the customer service and training with both.

We did our AOW with a former Y-Kiki person (Tim) in Kona (Bottom Time) so at least he could understand our "Miz-zou" accents.

Nemo's is about 100 miles from me and Y-Kiki is about 160, but we are in St. Louis a lot. Nobody could get on our case for shopping online, but I have bought most of my stuff from the Nemo's... although Y-Kiki has been doing pretty well on the training end of it lately as I am picking up a bunch of classes this winter.

What LDS's do you all hit the most?

I probably spend more time shopping for scuba gear at Home Depot to be honest, but I also shop at Great American and Midwest. They are just the closest for me. They are both good places to go, but unfortunately, they have a grudge against one another.

I know a bunch of folks that like Y-kiki as well, but they don't know me, and everytime I go in there, they try selling me an OW class.

Tom

I really only go into Great American. Their Kirkwood store is close to my office, and their St Charles store is close to my house. I use to go to Y-Kiki too, but they kept giving me trouble for buying a tank from Great American, so now I just go to Great American. Most of the folks in the shops know me by name and that is always nice...

Sabbath - Isn't there a shop in Moberly???

Phil

It sounds like these St. Louis LDS' have grudges against each other. I guess its a dog eat dog business, especially here in the midwest where customers are a premium. Its nice to have so many good choices considering there is no ocean within 1000 miles and people don't realize the great local freshwater dive opportunities.

It sounds like these St. Louis LDS' have grudges against each other. I guess its a dog eat dog business, especially here in the midwest where customers are a premium. Its nice to have so many good choices considering there is no ocean within 1000 miles and people don't realize the great local freshwater dive opportunities.

I am pretty sure that none of the LDS around us like one another... It is a shame really, but it is what it is...

Phil

In my area (and 100 miles in any direction) the only shop that I have found I can really deal with is Captain Johns in Oronogo. They treat me very well and I am there diving a lot. Most all of my gear purchases are on-line, but I always try to give them a shot.

DW

There's quite a bit of bad blood, and quite a few big egos in the STL dive shop scene. That's why I am so happy to head to Mermet, or the Dive stop since neither Glen or Dave seem to have anything against anybody.

Tom

You are dead on about those two dive spots B1gcountry. They both take that extra step to make sure your visit is a good one. Another place that I would put into that catagory is Jordan Marina at Norfork. The folks there go the extra mile and carry the essentials in their shop including air fills to make sure your trip goes off without a hitch.

Yeah, the folks at Jordan are nice too. I just singled out Dave and Glen because they both have dealings with the STL LDS's and they never say anything bad about them.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom