LDS Rant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nagel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, I have to get this out of my system. Over the last month I have been in about 6 different dive shops looking for various gadgets, equipment - nothing special. In every shop I'm told, "we don't have that, but we can order it for you". Here's my issue, I can order it myself and probably pay less than what I would pay the LDS. The only reasons I go to the LDS is to give them a little business so that they can make a living so that I can get tanks filled. I don't mind paying a little more for something with the LDS, knowing that I am supporting them to keep them in business again so I can get tanks filled. In addition, sometimes you want something now and not have to wait 3 days for it to get shipped to you - another reason to go to the LDS. But, are they missing the mark here? I understand inventory issues and inventory is $$$, but I hear all the time about the poor LDS who cannot compete with the internet. Do a search in this forum and it is filled (or was filled) with these kinds of posts. My only point is that I think we all want to support the LDS, but come on give us a little something here - like keeping a good inventory of things and we will buy from you.

Okay, I'm done...I feel better now (atleast until the next guy tells me, "I can order it for you".

S. Nagel

nagel:
Okay, I have to get this out of my system. Over the last month I have been in about 6 different dive shops looking for various gadgets, equipment - nothing special. In every shop I'm told, "we don't have that, but we can order it for you". Here's my issue, I can order it myself and probably pay less than what I would pay the LDS. The only reasons I go to the LDS is to give them a little business so that they can make a living so that I can get tanks filled. I don't mind paying a little more for something with the LDS, knowing that I am supporting them to keep them in business again so I can get tanks filled. In addition, sometimes you want something now and not have to wait 3 days for it to get shipped to you - another reason to go to the LDS. But, are they missing the mark here? I understand inventory issues and inventory is $$$, but I hear all the time about the poor LDS who cannot compete with the internet. Do a search in this forum and it is filled (or was filled) with these kinds of posts. My only point is that I think we all want to support the LDS, but come on give us a little something here - like keeping a good inventory of things and we will buy from you.

Okay, I'm done...I feel better now (atleast until the next guy tells me, "I can order it for you".

S. Nagel

I do all my shopping in one, only one, dive store.

If they don't have what I am looking for, but they have a catalog that has what I want in it, then I order from with them, yes.

For my DPV, however, I went straight to AG, the manufacturer.

And for my cannister light, I went straight to Sartek.

The DPV was $3,700 without spare parts. The can-lite was $800, without a spare battery. Those were the exceptions. As you can see, it was not an issue of pricing. It was an issue of obtaining the best of the best, when your life depends on your gear.

You can tell them it's not really like it will do any good though.

My LDS told me when they could not get an Item before I went on a trip to buy it online because I could get it in time that way.

1_T_Submariner:
You can tell them it's not really like it will do any good though.

My LDS told me when they could not get an Item before I went on a trip to buy it online because I could get it in time that way.

You kinda have to admire their honesty.

This is yet another area where shops like ST are "getting it". They do have the inventory that people want, I think their site says they have like 5 million dollars in inventory. Now an LDS could stock way, way less than that, and still cover most divers wants/needs. Their biggest fear is being stuck with dead inventory of last years models and such. However if they were willing to use tools like the internet to move stock they wouldn't be taking such a risk. It would also allow them a means to increase sales, increase inventory, increase profits through volume, etc.....

I see it in my business all over the place (auto), old-school business practices, fear of change, and failure to embrace technology as a tool....

Same story here. "We can order it for you." Yea.... I can order it for myself, dude. I just don't get it. You can't sell what you don't have. One of my LDS's is very good on service so I took my reg over for an annual. Made the mistake of purusing the store while I was there.

He had maybe 8 BCs, 4 Regs, one computer, no lights. Not even a little 4-C cell light for sale. A few wetsuits and a fairly good selection of masks and fins. That was about it. Couldn't even get a weight belt there as far as I could tell. He had reels but no SMBs.

A couple of months ago I was really jazzed because I found out that one of my locals was a Zeagle dealer. I really wanted to try on a Stiletto. "Oh, yea. We're a dealer but we don't keep any in stock." Now how in the world does that make you a dealer if you don't have ANY to show people? I just ended up getting it from Scuba Toys.

I think the message to the Local Dive Shop is : "Stock what we need or quit complaining about people buying online."

-Charles

I buy all my stuff online or Ebay. Shipping is cheaper than the 100 mile round trip to the LDS. I fill my tanks at the fire station. I do let the LDS inspect my tanks and service my regs. Works for me.

Why rant? Where did you get your expectations? It's a free market. Sellers sell in he way they think they can maximize profit. If your LDS doesn't meet your expectations, go elsewhere until you find some place that will, whether it's a an LDS or the internet. You have so many choices. Be thankkful, not upset. By the way, Knob Noster and Whiteman are beautiful. You're lucky to live there. (USAF, 1969-1992)

I am lucky in that my LDS has a very good selection of equipment, by different manufacturers .. the prices are not lowest but they will work with you on that.
Sometimes, you just want to handle it, see it in person, before making a decision to buy something , or as you said, if you want it now

Oh, and he has been to 6 different shops ... would be nice to find what he wants in one of them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom