LCD Touch Backpack issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thepopol777

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm very surprised to read on many topics that many of you are using the LCD backpack. But how???????

I bought it with my hero3, because it's hard to target well underwater without a screen.

BUT, when I go deep (20-30 meters ), the pressure makes the case gently press the touch-screen and then the goPro become unusable, until the pressing stops.

Am I the only one here? Or you found a solution?

Thanks!

You aren't meant to use the touch screen back underwater, only for snorkeling. There is a rigid back for diving, you can navigate the screen with the buttons. I'm surprised you didn't flood it.

Thanks! Maybe my english is a little bit bad so you misunderstood my question. I'm not talking about using the "touch" feature, and of course I'm using the diving case ( the one in the Hero3 pack ).

What I meant is that the case press the touch screen with the pressure, so, when I want to navigate using the buttons, it's impossible, because an "action is running" on the touch screen, so I can't do something else. One day I couldn't take a manta ray just in front of me because of this, I was so angry!!!! Since that I stopped using the LCD Screen.

I never have this problem. Been using the LCD since day 1. Never have the issue u mention.

Not knowing how your set up is. Possible issue for it to push on the screen are.
Do you have the flat desiccant in the housing?
Have you tried to not use the battery door?

Hi again!

My setup at this time was just the LCD, the hero3 and the standard Dive Housing. And yes I'm using two flat desiccant ( this one )

And I never tried to remove the battery door. I'm surprised to be the only one with this problem, but I know I already read it somewhere else*.

edit: * Found it! But it was on a French forum. People are complaning about this issue, one of them called GoPro-France and they told him that the LCD Touch BackPac is incompatible with Diving because of that.

Last edited:
e431126df5e45a0b1de2bce375b698cc.jpg

The LCD Backdoor has a foam on the inside. This is touching the non-touch active side of the LCD. Hence the Backdoor itself is not touching the LCD. Furthermore, the LCD is only touchable on certain spots.

Unless you go really pass the rated 40m/60m of the housing and the housing start compressing. I do not see a reason why it will touch the LCD.

Does the problem happen on land without any pressure? If not, then the likely possibility is that it's the pressure.

Kind of strange that gopro give that reply when they supply Backdoor for both std and dive housing for the LCD but say it's not compatible....

I know the GoPro reply is strange, but that's what they said... And on the other forum, many divers are complaining about this issue. Once the housing press the screen, it scrolls the menu, it activates wifi, it do ****. I never go deeper than 30m. And it is clearly the pressure, because the pressure-point is visible on the center, It's not on the sides.

I would try and pack out the inside of the backdoor with some thin strips of hard foam which might help the eliviate the pressure on the touchscreen. It might be a case of trial and error but even if you gain a fraction of a millimetre it might make all the difference. Failing that, try another backdoor incase the one you have is faulty. You can buy a pack of three very cheaply...

GoPro Hero 3+ Standard Housing BacPac Backdoor Kit - ASDRK-301

I would try and pack out the inside of the backdoor with some thin strips of hard foam which might help the eliviate the pressure on the touchscreen.

I was thinking about that. I'll try it, but as hellhole said, there is already foam on the sides. Anyway, will try it.

I would take out the desiccant. And try that... I did many dives with it.. And never was a issue with me. A back up will be getting a new back door.

From my knowledge of plastic.. It will degrade if you put it out in the sun for a long time. I seen many people just put the housing in the sun to take time lapse and stuff...

Also... I would buy the dive housing that can go 60m. That is a harder plastic and I think much better for diving....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom